Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutbum11

Personal Best Brook Trout

I caught this 12 1/2 inch Brook Trout Today on the Upper Savage River in Maryland. I was drifting a double nymph rig and it took the hares ear #14. Amazing fish!

post-50481-0-22943900-1389834859_thumb.jpg

post-50481-0-82746400-1389834923_thumb.jpg

post-50481-0-31228500-1389834992_thumb.jpg

A 14" Brookie from a small stream that feeds the Manistee River in Wexford County, Mich. Stream was about 15-18 feet wide at it's widest, and had only caught 8-10 inchers before that, so this guy was a complete surprise. Taken on a PT nymph.

That is a nice looking brookie Troutbum11. That thing looks like it has been eating well and living a good life. After years of chasing the little rascals, my biggest ever was one that was just under 15 inches out of a rather small stream. Years ago, when I first discovered this forum I had a picture in my profile of a trout that was a little shy of 16 inches. My uncle swore that it was the biggest brook trout that he had ever seen so I believed in his experience and thought that it was a brookie that didn't have the beautiful coloring because I caught it in the middle of summer. I really didn't think it was a brookie but he had fished all of his life and convinced me that it was. I came across that old snap shot a while back and felt rather stupid because it is just a decent sized brown. I guess my uncle had had one too many sips of his shine when he saw the fish and I think that I had one or two too many for believing him. I was farther up in the mountains a few years back fishing a little brookie stream that I could jump across and got into a fish that really bowed my rod. I was casting into a small pool under a bridge and hooked up with, what I thought, the grand daddy of all brookies. After a short fight I got a glimpse of it and it wasn't a brookie at all, but an 18 inch rainbow. In that instant all of my hopes and dreams of a huge brookie went away but at least it was a good fight. I'm still not sure how that rainbow got so far up that stream and how it got so big and I will always wish that it had been a brookie.....

Thanks netabrookie,

That's an interesting story. The river where I caught this fish at is stocked pretty heavy with rainbows but the brook trout are wild. Once in a while I will tie into a nice rainbow and pray that its a giant brookie just to be disappointed. But a fish is a fish is suppose and like you said, they put up a good fight.

By the way, this fish was eating good because when I caught it there was a sculpin half way down its throat! (Picture)

post-50481-0-42955500-1389844312_thumb.jpg

I never did up to the Nipigon River but my F-I-L did and brought back pics of 3-4# brookies. They can go huge bug seldom in the streams we love to fish for them. I used to fish a deadwaters on the Hockamin Creek in MN where we'd get a lot of fish to 15", but in the running water above and below the beaver ponds seldom over 10". I was steelhead fishing the Poplar River on the north shore of Lake Superior drifting egg flies and got a "coaster" or lake run brookie that ran about 20". Biggest ever but don't think it weighed much more than the 15" trout in the deadwaters. The stillwater trout were fat from a diet of mainly chubs and scuds.