Fly Tying
Alex C.

What did I catch?

Out ice fishing today I noticed a small aquatic insect swim up into my hole. I wound up catching several of them and want to know what they are. They average between 1/4"-3/8" long. About 1/16" wide. It kind of reminds me of a shrimp when it swims, when resting it is in a C shape. Two black beady eyes. Looks like 2 antena on each side of it's head. Kind of olive tan in color, many legs, clearish white. It also has litle black specks all over it. I'd post a pic but my camera is a piece of crap. Any idea what they are? I was fishing an ice covered lake, in about 12 feet of water. The guy I went out with said the perch will stop hitting on minnows torward the end of the ice fishing season and pretty much only feed on these, cause as spring comes there are a lot more of them. dunno.gif Thanks

More info- when swimming it extends its body straight out, coasts a ways, tucks it's body into a C shape and repeats. When it tucks into the C as it straightens back out it's legs/ tentacles flare kind of down and out away from it's body, sorta like how a jely fish looks when it swims. When I said it reminded me of a shrimp whe it swam I meant it's body shape

user posted image

Heres a pic from troutnut.com I found, Amphipoda or scud. This is almost identical other than the antena on mine look split on bith sides. This stuff rules headbang.gif

Well I just tied one up! I'll post a picture tomorro when I borrow my mom's camera. It isn't a realistic fly, but basically a cream dubbed hook, cream hackle for the tail, tan thread for a ib and then I picked at it with a needle to get the dubbing to fuzz up and look like legs, same for the antena. Then on the back I put some sally hansen hard as nails to give the " clear skin" effect the real ones have, can't wait to show you guys! biggrin.gif

Scuds are cool. Usually when they are carrying eggs you can see them. right in the middle of there body. try addind a bit of oarnge dubbing. Any clear plastic will give you a good shellback. Look at Grahams flies there is one of the best versions of a scud that I have ever seen, might have to search the data base.