Fly Tying

Loon Knot Sense, about $5-7 per small tube, it is not sold for fly tying but is the exact same stuff as their thick uv resin, a cheap way to get playing around. Next you need a U.V light to set the resin, the cheap 9 LED U.V lights off ebay work fine.

Here's a post I made on another forum, related to UV resins:

I have been using Loon thin for the majority of my tying, and like it for sure. Here's a link, though the price seems high. I bought it at a local shop for a lot less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321133650109?lpid=82

I purchased a UV light off of Amazon after a little research; it's been working fine and cures fast:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001 ... o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree that the sun is the best, though the UV glues are so much faster than 5-minute epoxy. I also have used a glass UV glue (disregard the 10 minute cure time; it cures the same as others):

http://www.supergluecorp.com/super-gl ... ries-clear-glass-adhesive

I would recommend the Loon for midges, but not the glass glue; it would be better for larger patterns.

TC

Hi Jason

been checking out the Solarez website for a while now.

the only thing that worries me is the product info from them. see below

PRODUCT TIP:
Apply all UV curable products in full shade or indoors, flash with
Solarez UV Flashlight for 30 seconds, continue working on fly. To
completely cure resin, expose to sunlight or use flashlight for about 3 minutes.

Does this product not dry with the UV Light. How many batteries will be used if we have to wait 3 minutes per fly. LOL

I have a fly-tying factory in South Africa and would like to use this product, but a bit scared about the statement above.

Sounds like you could take a large number of flies and put them in the sun for a few minutes, flip then wait another 3 min

Interesting problem. Only way to find out is to get a small sample and try it.

I can tell you, from experience, that CCG's UV resins cure very quickly in full sunlight. It also eliminates the tackiness that is often associated with the product.

I recently bought some Solarez products at the recommendations of others here and I see no notable difference in working with or performance between them and the CCG products I have used. They both work well and the Solarez is definately cheaper.

Shoebop,

Where did you buy it? Is this the same stuff Hook&Hackle sells? They claim it cures "in seconds".

Dave

Fishypieter I too laughed at their recommendation on the site when I inquired about the products with them...

Fortunately for us its characteristics are pretty much the same as CCG or Loon, etc... Quick Zap to set it, little longer to give it a full cure.

Everyone I've ever got to try the stuff has been happy. It just flat out works great and the price can't be beat. Retail on the 2oz is about the same as the wholesale price on the 2oz Loon, and CCG is just out of the park when it comes to price wholesale or Retail...