Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RichK

Aluminum Fly Tying Station?

Does anyone make any aluminum fly tying stations? I've seen many made from wood with routing done to hold materials, etc. but never out of aluminum.

I'm talking about something like this:

Fly_Bench2.jpg

If you need one crafted out of wood my father-in-law and I can make one custom for you to suite your needs. We made mine to hold 50 spools of thread and it works nicely, even holds all my UV cure resin

Aluminum would look neat, possibly futuristic. I wouldn't want the desk part to be shiny metal. And as much as I don't like cold surfaces, I am not sure I could work on such a desk.

Pieces of aluminum thick enough to make good holders and supports aren't cheap, either. Just the bar stock to work with would be rather high.

With people spending hundreds of dollars on vises, though, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a demand that could be supplied.

Any metal smiths out there willing to build one?

Go to CAE engineering. google it. When you get to the web site, go to gallery. He has a cool metal station. The site won't let me copy the pic. so you have to go look at it on his site. Its not quite like the one in your reference pic. but it is really nice.

Word of caution. If you make your own, unless you anodize it or spray it with clear, you WILL get a black oxidation on your fingers after excessive use. Is what I do for a living. I made this vise and many others.

I will some day make a aluminum, stainless and brass work station. Is on the bucket list

post-19822-0-04452800-1390330096_thumb.jpg

post-19822-0-82894900-1390330223_thumb.jpg

Go to CAE engineering. google it. When you get to the web site, go to gallery. He has a cool metal station. The site won't let me copy the pic. so you have to go look at it on his site. Its not quite like the one in your reference pic. but it is really nice.

This is pretty much what I was thinking of.

Since there aren't any mass produced units available I think I will make my own. Make it out of aluminium and anodize it a gold color.

Those were interesting. Thanks for that. I didn't know about them until now.

Since there aren't any mass produced units available I think I will make my own. Make it out of aluminium and anodize it a gold color.

I will be very interested to see it when finished. The gold anodized will look good. Better then brass. Make sure you notify me when done.

I will be very interested to see it when finished. The gold anodized will look good. Better then brass. Make sure you notify me when done.

Will do. I am going to design it in CAD today and sleep on it for a few nights to see if I want to make any changes and then I will get a sheet of aluminum to machine it from.