Fly Tying
lostnwilderness

Custom Build a Tying Desk

So I have decided I am going to build myself a custom fly tying desk. I have a small space dedicated to tying in my pantry. GREAT lighting already in place. I am trying to consider all possibilities and account for as many as possible. I tie flies for trout – dry’s, nymphs and streamers as well as a few smallmouth flies. The drawers in this will be my primary storage – I don’t have or need as many materials as a lot of folks on here. Here is what I was thinking:

• Junk Drawer #1
  • Junk Drawer #2
  • Drawer for Hooks and Beads
  • Drawer for Hackle Capes
  • Drawer of random other feathers
  • Drawer for synthetics
  • Drawer for hair

I am going to attempt to customize the drawer depth based on what is going in them. All of my threads/floss and wire hang on a seamstress rack on the wall. And all of my tools fit in my goofy foam tool caddy. I do not use a magnifying glass as of yet but figure I can determine how to mount it to the wall/desk when I cross that bridge. I have a peg board in front of the desk and a book shelf above it. I have the dimensions of the desk already figured out (available space and the height I like to tie at).

There is a TON of knowledge and experience on this forum so I ask you - what am I not accounting for or considering? Any thoughts or advice? What do you wish you had that you don't?

Thanks everyone!!!

You have carefully laid out plans for what you have, now build your desk to hold TWICE as much.

What ever storage space that you plan should maybe be increased because materials seem to accumulate as the addiction worsens. It is amazing how fast that your need or desire for new and better materials will advance beyond your original anticipated storage needs. It sounds like you have given this considerable thought and I don't mean to sound negative but the materials can start piling up in a hurry. Feathers like large peacock eyes and pheasant tails don't fit in drawers very well and a lot of us crazed tiers just stand them in a container within arms reach. I just noticed that Utyer posted as I was typing and he has said basically the same thing, there is never enough space...

Not sure I would plan two drawers for junk. Start off planning to only keep good quality usable stuff and the junk will sort itself out without you trying.

Make sure you paint the back wall behind the vise in neutral eye friendly shades and a good mat white area under the vise is useful for dropped hooks and bits.

I definitely agree with the more storage advice. I am just limited on space in our small house. I am just trying to maximize the space I have. It looks like their will be 1 "junk" drawer (lines, backing, reels, spare glue, tools etc...) and 1 extra drawer. I just labeled them both as "junk" aka random stuff that always seems to pop up.

The back wall is your standard kitchen white. It works extremely well!

Thanks for the comments so far! Just trying to think through this before I start laying out and ripping lumber!

You also might consider finding a used (or buy a new) computer hutch to set on top of the desk.

They come in all sorts of configurations / sizes, and can be pretty handy. Other than that, I'd have to agree with the comments so far. You'll find your needs and preferences will change as you get more experience and figure out what works for you and what doesn't.I can't tell you how many times I've changed my stuff around to suit my needs. I guess that's part of the attraction to tying.

sounds like a great project. I agree with the other guys about increasing storage I had several of those plastic sets of drawers but quickly out grew them; on the other hand I might have a touch of some hoarder disease.

I totally disagree with the fellas that recommend doubling the space you think that is required. You should double it and then double it again and you still won't have enough space. I am a frustrated saltwater tier that currently lives in TN. I also tie warmwater flies. I am using a 4' wide desk with a lap drawer and 3 side drawers and shelf stand that goes to 6' above floor level. I also have a 30" plastic drawer unit that is full and a paper cutter on top for cutting craft foam. Another wood drawer unit that is almost 5' high that is full with 'stuff' stacked on top. Another shelf unit that is 4' high and 3' wide that is full and wigs hanging for eazy access. I still have stuff sitting around stacked and not well organized. By the time you get paper cutters, color markers, fly turner for epoxy drying. 2 to 4 lights and magnifyers, dubbing blenders, dremel and lots of attachments, a radio and/or TV and all the other needs that I have left out space runs out fast. I am sure glad that I don't have a problem......

Attached are two pictures of stuff I built. One is a tying desk (at my summer home) with lots of SMALL drawers. Wish I had made even more small drawers.

post-50694-0-91302200-1391110108_thumb.jpg

The other is a desktop shelf system for my tying table here at my winter home. I have lots of drawers here, but wanted a shelf on top to keep tools, thread, tinsel, floss, etc. handy. It has worked out very well.

post-50694-0-17944900-1391110150_thumb.jpg

I've pondered building a desk specifically for fly tying, and even drawn a couple plans. But after almost 5 years of tying, and an ever increasing inventory of materials, I've decided that buying the plastic bins and Rubbermaid drawer sets gives me the flexibility to continually add storage as needed.

The problem with building something is what happens when you use all that storage space - where do you put materials then?

What utyer said.

Then add a third, and leave room to add on. Don't laugh you'll need it and then some, trust me.

I'm going to agree with everyone who's advised you to plan out double or triple the space you think you'll need. I am convinced that fly tying materials actually breed with one another and multiply while I sleep, that's how fast they accumulate and stack up. :)

Although I'm very envious of the aesthetics of all the very nice looking fly tying desks that I see on here, my set-up is actually quite a bit more industrial-looking--a bench, rather than a desk. Way back when I was first starting out, my father-in-law offered me a workbench he had in his basement, and it has worked out beautifully. The surface is a re-purposed solid wood door, approximately 6' long and about 3' wide. This is supported by a frame of 2x4's that connect the top to a heavy plywood bottom. The bottom provides tons of room for storage -- I keep my Dremel, my drill, and various boxes of stuff under there. The top is wide enough that I can set a row of plastic storage drawer sets (for material storage) all along the back edge and still have plenty of room for tying, rod building or whatever other projects I get up to. For additional storage, I have an old bookcase-style headboard from a queen-size bed bolted to the wall at eye level when I'm sitting at the bench. I used to have the headboard attached directly to the bench on legs, like a hutch, with pegboard between the headboard and the top of the bench, but I decided I didn't like the peg system. I don't have any pics right now, but will attach some tonight when I get home.

Anyway, my point here is that, despite the rather utilitarian look of my tying space, it is spacious enough that I never feel crowded or lacking for places to put all my "stuff". It's also a rather open design, which makes it very versatile - I can re-arrange it as needed to accommodate different types of projects.

Whatever you build, I would say just make it as big as you can get away with making it, because you will need the space.

I think we should draw a line between "Tying Area" and "Storage". These should be two separate things. I utilize storage for everything I'm not using to tie at the moment. That is, I only keep materials I am using or use frequently in the desk area. For instance, I use a few types and colors of dubbing frequently, so I keep a small supply of each in labeled plastic coin tubes on a shelf in the desk area. The main stash of dubbing is kept in plastic shoe box type containers on the shelf of a nearby bookcase. When I run low, I simply replenish from the main stash Same with hackle, thread, etc.

ALL the material you own doesn't have to be right in front of you. Simplify.

Attached are two pictures of stuff I built. One is a tying desk (at my summer home) with lots of SMALL drawers. Wish I had made even more small drawers.

attachicon.gifIMG_2022.JPG

The other is a desktop shelf system for my tying table here at my winter home. I have lots of drawers here, but wanted a shelf on top to keep tools, thread, tinsel, floss, etc. handy. It has worked out very well.

attachicon.gifIMG_0802.JPG

I really like both set-ups, Sundance. Did you build the top desk or buy it? Same question on the shelf unit. Both are very nice and you are an excellent craftsman if they are home-built.

I think we should draw a line between "Tying Area" and "Storage". These should be two separate things. I utilize storage for everything I'm not using to tie at the moment. That is, I only keep materials I am using or use frequently in the desk area. For instance, I use a few types and colors of dubbing frequently, so I keep a small supply of each in labeled plastic coin tubes on a shelf in the desk area. The main stash of dubbing is kept in plastic shoe box type containers on the shelf of a nearby bookcase. When I run low, I simply replenish from the main stash Same with hackle, thread, etc.

ALL the material you own doesn't have to be right in front of you. Simplify.

This is my motto too.