Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
barrytheguide

J vise

I would like hear comments from anyone who owns or has used a J vise. I am a semi pro tier, actually a guide who ties just for client use,. My current vise is a Renzetti Persentation and I have broken a couple of sets of jaws and I think I would like to upgrade.

I have the j with pro jaw. Easily tie 24 - 4/0 and holds my hmh tube fly adaptor fine. I know Jays new pro jaw is SS. The pro jaw has recesses in it to allow bigger hooks to sit better and also helps tie on off point hooks that can put strain on jaw tips as the torque tries to tighten on a twisted hook.

I have nothing bad to say about Jays vice but I would be concerned how you manage to break the renzetti jaws as they are a well respected brand and it may be your technique and you may do same damage to J vice?

Barry:

You are breaking jaws tying for the Lower Sac.? What the heck are you tying? Have you thought of a Dyna King instead of a J-vice? Local manufacture of a tried and true product as opposed to a very pretty vise from South Africa? Not that the J-vise is not a good looking tool, and certainly has collect a number of vocal fans on this board, but entropy works against all things, and I'd rather not have to cross oceans just to get a vise fixed. YMMV.

The Jvice looks great. The only downside I see is the stem is metric sized and not suitable for the 3/8" vise accessories. I don't like the wooden base, and it would be loose in a SAE pedestal. I agree if you're breaking jaws, something is wrong other than the jaws.

I had the chance to tie on it at the Somerset show in November and Jay was nice enough to talk me through all the features and let me put it through its paces. My opinion is that it is a very nice vise, but no better than many other very nice vises, some of which are mentioned above. It has a very cult-like following, which is fine for the folks that love it. That also means that you need to weigh advice carefully. It's beautiful, but I'm more interested in function and the Jvice didn't function any better than less expensive options with local distributors. He did sell me a very nice if not over-engineered hackle plier that grabs like no other pair I have tried. I like those pliers!

Mike.

Barry:

You are breaking jaws tying for the Lower Sac.? What the heck are you tying? Have you thought of a Dyna King instead of a J-vice? Local manufacture of a tried and true product as opposed to a very pretty vise from South Africa? Not that the J-vise is not a good looking tool, and certainly has collect a number of vocal fans on this board, but entropy works against all things, and I'd rather not have to cross oceans just to get a vise fixed. YMMV.

I must admit the last jaw I broke, the second one over the last few years , was tying a saltwater fly down here inLa Paz where I am for a while. You guessed right I usually tie 12 - 18's for the Lower Sac. Maybe I put just to much pressure on the hook, but if I back off Ive had small hooks slip with the cam jaws.

Another question I have is does the J Vice have ball bearings since I like to spin once in a while!

Thanks for all the replies

Barry

The 10mm JVICE upright is only marginally larger than the more common 3/8" upright; the difference is a scant 0.0187", just under half a mm. So it will be tight in a 3/8" pedestal, not loose. (Or, as in my case with several "Imperial" pedestals, it won't fit at all.) But I discovered my 3/8" c-clamps have more tolerance than the pedestals, with plenty of room for the JVICE upright. For that matter, my 3/8" light/magnifier attachment slid right over the 10mm upright, and my bet is many, if not most or all, 3/8" attachments (with the exception of pedestals) will fit similarly as they don't need to be manufactured to tight tolerances. If that's too much confidence for comfort, have Jay sub a 3/8" upright, or ask him to turn the lower portion down. Jay's a friendly and accommodating fellow.

FWIW, the wood base is just one option, but it does offer features and usefulness beyond a clamp or pedestal. I understand any hesitation due to the distance should repair/ be needed, but shipping for me was only five days to California.

The JVICE uses a brass shaft and delrin hubs. No ball bearings. Very smooth, but it's not a spinning vise.

Barry,

Long time no hear. How are you? I'm shocked you don't have a Law!

I have a J-Vise that I purchased used. It's a really nice vice, but it only came with a C-clamp. I purchased a wood base and the midge jaws from Jay, the shipping cost added significantly to the price. And, the package sat in the NY Customs office for 11 days.

Someone here sent a 3/8" stem to Jay for him to use on his personal vise. It's a pretty recent post, so it should be below. I read on the Jvice website or somewhere that 3/8" steel rods were unavailable in SA.

I sent Jay a stainless steel 3/8" stem I bought off Amazon.com. With the 3/8" stem I can use the JVice on any N. American made base or C-clamp. I don't care for the wooden bases that come with it or the U.S. off shoot Wasatch Jvice. So, I use my JVice with a Peak base [nicest base made] or a c-clamp. I really think the JVice is one of the nicest vises out there. If it's good enough for renown author, Atlantic Salmon tyer, photographer, Michael Radencich, it's good enough for me. It works/functions as nice as it looks. I bought the bobbin rest and gallows tool with it. I like the gripping power, the variety of hooks sizes it holds, and the roominess and comfort in the design of the arm where I can place my left hand while tying. The fine design is not robotic looking like a lot of vises made these days. I like functional art...like a nice bamboo rod, which is what the Jvice is...functional art. It may not be the vise for everyone but I'm glad I bought it.

How do you break "a couple" sets of Renzetti jaws? I'd say you need to upgrade to a Peak with their saltwater jaws if you're that destructive to your vises- the JVise probably won't last you one tying session, as EzGoing stated it is more functional art than industrial tool.

JS id have to say for people that don't have a J vise they are often accused of being over engineered. They are certainly functional AND good looking.

JS id have to say for people that don't have a J vise they are often accused of being over engineered. They are certainly functional AND good looking.

I wouldn't say it is over engineered. That's the sort of thing I would like. To me it is well engineered (like all the other quality vises) and dressed up to look nice. If looks are important to you, then you can easily justify the cost and long distance service, and that is great. The reason I was even considering buying a Jvise was for travel. Tying at shows, it would be a nice piece of flash to draw in customers. If looks don't matter so much, other options that are just as functional will make you just as happy.