Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
barrytheguide

J vise

Frequent tyer, I have a J vise and don't feel it is over engineered either, I just wanted to point out that they are not a flimsy fairy vise but a practical piece of kit.

I will stick to my original thought though that the vise brand is unlikely to be a solution, it is what is breaking the jaws that needs fixing. Renzetti, peak, danvise, etc etc all have strong followings for good reason.

No ones going to break the jaws on a JVice. It's not 'over' engineered but engineered to perfection. I don't drive a tank to work and I don't need a tank to tie flies. But, I'm not trying to convert anyone to a Jvice. I know what I like and like what I know.

- One other thing is service. Jay worked with me to customize the vise such as the 3/8" stem. He returned all emails promptly.

JS id have to say for people that don't have a J vise they are often accused of being over engineered. They are certainly functional AND good looking.

Eh, must be an eye of the beholder thing, I have never really been enthralled by the look of them. i can't comment negatively or positively on their performance as I have never used one but aesthetically they dont appeal to me. There are enough good vises out there that I see no need to tie on something that i dont like to look at. I feel the same way about the LAW and even the Peak.

Would love a Damaseal, but as a guide it's out of my price bracket. I hate to say it, but the CAE vise, which is a Law Copy, looks very interesting But his web site leaves a lot to be desired. Mhhh, thinks, my is not all that great!

Frequent tyer, I have a J vise and don't feel it is over engineered either, I just wanted to point out that they are not a flimsy fairy vise but a practical piece of kit.

I will stick to my original thought though that the vise brand is unlikely to be a solution, it is what is breaking the jaws that needs fixing. Renzetti, peak, danvise, etc etc all have strong followings for good reason.

Tying with the hook close to the end of the jaws is a problem, I've seen may a regal vise with chipped jaws for the same reason, tool steel tends to be very brittle.

Would love a Damaseal, but as a guide it's out of my price bracket. I hate to say it, but the CAE vise, which is a Law Copy, looks very interesting But his web site leaves a lot to be desired. Mhhh, thinks, my is not all that great!

Bazzer, I came across the CAE vice when trying in vain to find a really good tube fly vice. I agree that it looks very nice and is appealing now that the LAW is no longer available (unless you want to part with £2000 ($3300) for a second hand one as someone did last week on ebay). However, when I did a few searches I found that it got an absolute hammering on the uk forums with regard to finish and quality. I did notice though that a lot of the critics appeared to be LAW vice owners and friends/acquaintances of the LAW vice maker. I agree that the website leaves a lot to be desired and suspect it may be rather costly since the prices are not even declared on the site.

Incidentally, I own a Jvice and love it. It may look a bit over engineered in pictures but in the flesh it just feels very robust and well made. I find it very user friendly and enjoy owning it. The maker is a real gent to deal with and will help you out in any way he can. There have been a few threads now on the Jvice and so far I have it seems to me the only critics are those who have never actually seen/bought/used one. All the owners are positive in their comments.

I googled CAE Vise and the link said it costs $555 plus shipping from England. I didn't open the link, but it was from a review, don't know how long ago.

I don't think the Jvice is over-engineered. It's just very well made and looks great and quite simple. Don't own one and never will, but if I had it to do over, I might. I don't know how much maintenance a vise takes as I've never sent any vise back, so the fact it's made off-shore doesn't bother me at all.

A Renzetti vise, which I have, is like a Glock pistol. Business-like, well engineered, and efficient, but it doesn't generate a lot of love.

That is funny. Jay was actually sharing a table with Faruk and my first impression was No Thanks. That faux Damascus etching is just embarrassing. I could live with the brass and polished corian (or whatever the hub is made of) on the Jvise, but the damaseal jaws are just tarting things up for no purpose.

But to go back to the OPs question, everyone is describing their own experience. You have to live with the vise you choose, so find a way to try before you buy.

A Renzetti vise, which I have, is like a Glock pistol. Business-like, well engineered, and efficient, but it doesn't generate a lot of love.

Well said! In my opinion that is the best description of a good tool.