Fly Tying
troutinturnie

Pike Fishing on the Fly

Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience fishing Pike on the fly? I recently took a job teaching in Northern Manitoba and the fishing has been UNREAL. Lots of large Pike and Walleye as well as Lake Trout.

This spring I would like to try fly fishing up here, alot of the spots we fish are wide open and the Pike hang out right along the shore, perfect oppritunity. I received some flies from a gentleman from home (Nova Scotia) over Christmas break but I still have alot of questions.

Line weight/leaders and tippets?

Flies? Colours and Sizes?

Iv started tying aswell and would like to get a good jump on the flies before the ice melts (middle to late may) up here. xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.jZ-_dA-Dno.png

I appreciate any help

Kyle

Welcome to a great branch of fly fishing.

First of all you will have lots of people say you don't need a wire trace for pike. If you use a wire trace you will 100% not suffer a bite off. No one using anything else can say this. I use single strand titanium wire for my pike traces. I find it resists kinks very well and the turnover of the fly is very good. 49 strand or 7 strand wires are also fine but will kink and be prepared to use them like you would mono leaders, eg regularly change them.

For fly lines, intermediate and sinkers in a variety of speeds will cover a whole season. The lines with a heavy forward taper are what you want to turnover the bulky flies. Bass taper, pike taper, streamer lines are some of the names you see on packaging. #8 line is the minimum and a #10 is more likey the best start point. A leader of 12lb to 25lb depending on fish size should be fine. 7ft level leader would be my start point. Pike are not overly tackle shy.

A good book is mastering pike on the fly. Think you can even get as e reader now.

Sounds good. I recently caught a 37 incher ice fishing. No one up here fly fishes, I dont understand why.... huge monster pike and walleye, the sopts we catch fish are wide open and free of things to tangle up on and in the summer it stays day light from 5am till about 1am lol. Perfect fishing conditions if you ask me.

The moose and caribou hunting doesnt hurt either!

For pike ive been using a 9' 10wt rod. Its to me is the perfect size rod. You can cast whatever you want and it will take on anything. For lines i use floating, it seams to cover most of the pike fishing that i do. I am right know in the process of buying a sinking line, just so you can get the lunkers down deep. My leader is most of the time some 15-30 pound mono. for my tippet i use a short 1'-2' piece of 60lb fluorocarbon with a clip at the end. this tippet set up is working great for me. The nice thing about pike is that they are aggressive fish and will eat practically whatever is throw at them. Tye big flashy fly's with lots of movement. Pike fly fishing is some of the best times ive had with a fly rod, once you get you first fish on you will be hooked!!!! Good tying and good luck this spring when the ice melts.

I'm using an Hobbes creek 8 weight rod with a wire tippet and 6' 30lb leader. I started a new topic on pike flies that I have tied. I normaly fish in northern alberta and thats the exact same type of fishing as what you have stated. They like to hang along the weed lines. I try to imitate perch as they eat lots of them. during mid summer you will want to get a sinking line because the huge fish go deep to escape the heat. I hop this helps. Heres a link http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=76882.

All good advice so far---- I'd just add to tie a few bright pink, pink and white, and pink and chartreuse flies for the pike. For some reason, on several occasions I've had results with pike on pink flies when nothing else seemed to produce.

Although I've never fished up north (I came off the water at 3Am this morning down here in paradise, aka south Florida) one of my contract patterns with Umpqua Feather Merchants has been used a lot for pike and musky.... It was originally designed for big tarpon but also seems to do well on a variety of other species around the world both in the salt and up in freshwater.. In the catalogue that shops order from it's call the the Pike/Tarpon snake.... Like the last poster I'm also very fond of pink flies when a change of pace is indicated. The Tarpon Snake is normally an all black pattern. Here's a sample in fl. pink....

post-30940-0-54737000-1391269183_thumb.jpg

One thing not mentioned so far is that if you intend to throw 'big' flies you will need to move up in rod size. I have never flyfished pike but a 9wt should handle any pike in fairly open water. Even the monsters. But as the fly size increases the need for big rods also increases and pike do like big baits sometimes. Big, flashy, and bright flies should be productive, especially in low pressured areas. Sounds like a lot of fun. .......And walleye, that is some fine eating. mmm mmm mmm

Sounds like a lot of fun. .......And walleye, that is some fine eating. mmm mmm mmm

Walleye on the fly is so much fun, and good eating like you said. Its really fun getting out in the boat casting for them during dawn and dusk when the water is calm and clear.

I haven't caught pike on the fly yet, but got an 8wt Beulah rod and a one man pontoon this winter, tied a bunch of flies and now I'm just waiting for ice out. I debated over using a stiff mono or wire for the bite tippet but after doing some research, ultimately had to go with wire for the reasons mentioned by Piker20. I have heard that stiff 30-60;b mono will work, but the owner of the local fly shop told me of a trip to Wisconsin when the largest pike of the trip sliced clean through 50lb mono with a head shake. His guide switched them over to wire bite tippet for the rest of the day. IMO, I would rather not take the chance of losing a large fish due to bite tippet. You can buy the 49 strand wire that Piker20 was talking about in 30ft spools at craft stores. Much cheaper than buying Tyger wire which is virtually the same thing. It's called Beadalon. I've messed with both this winter and find the Beadolon to be very comparable with a lower price tag.

If you havn't yet, you should check out Barry Reynolds book, Pike on the Fly.

I've also never fished for Pike, but have tied hundreds of flies for them when I tied commercially. There are many good patterns around for Pike, and IMO, most of the larger flies out there intended for big predatory fishes of any type should work. I often got orders for an old pattern called the McNally Magnum. Relatively simple pattern too.

The other fly types I tied frequently for Pike anglers were tied with rabbit strips. Big & bulky, and heavy once they get wet. However, they work. I remember one fellow telling me he used an 11 wt with such flies, and could go lighter with his rod & other types of flies, but he had so much success with rabbit strip flies he had no issues going to the heavier rod. I've never read that book by Barry Reynolds, but believe he discusses rabbit strip flies.

Based on flies I tied & feedback from customers, it's not a bad idea to have a variety of colors covering both light & bright, and dark. Black, browns & purple (& combinations) patterns also seemed to do well on some waters. You can get as complicated or artistic as you wish with your flies, but simple patterns will likely work as well as any.

BTW, I also got requests for those flies that Capt Bob ties. Excellent for any big fishes! smile.png

Didn't mention rod size (and should have). The lightest rods we use for small Tarpon Snakes is a 10wt with an intermediate line (full line, not a floating/intermediate tip)..... The 10wt is used with Snakes on 2/0 hooks (Owner Aki or Tiemco 600sp). When it's the standard sized Snake, as shown with the pink one, the hook size is a 4/0 and we're using an 11wt minimum, many days a 12wt. No, it's not much fun using a big rod when the fish don't require it, but it's even less fun struggling to cast a really big fly with a rod that's just not meant for that....

By the way, we've beaten a number of tarpon up to 80lbs on a 10wt but with fish bigger than 80 you're going to want a bigger rod (some days, much bigger....). If I'm ever way up north in pike country, they'll be on my list for sure. I really like big aggressive fish that attack a fly instead of just biting it...

Pike aren't quite like tarpon, not that I've ever caught a tarpon, but even big pike won't make the blistering long distance runs. It's a gamble if you don't use a wire trace.... I've caught many pike while bass or walleye fishing with no trace and a 6lb mono..... and I've also had many bite me off... with flies and hardware lures. It can be a bit painful on the wallet when you see the third or fourth 24" "hammer handle" pike slice your line and make off with a $10 Rapala.... :) Then, the two biggest pike I've brought to hand 40 inches on fly and 42 on spinning, I caught with no trace. Just luck... when looking specifically for pike, use wire. Also, there are plenty of times when it does not seem required to use huge flies. I've caught some very nice pike, 36 inches and more, when fishing for smallmouths with 3 and 4 inch flies and lures.

...all great information...the one method I use is use a short leader 6' - 8' or so, tie on a length of 20 lb mono, about 6' and then I tie on a snap swivel, makes changing of flies much easier and saves on leader materials. I find that there is no need for finesse casting, the uglier and louder the splashes, the more action there is. At least, that is what works for me...

I am gearing up for a season of pike and walleye fishing with a fly rod .

Tied a bunch of different bugs up and made some leaders. I have a couple buddies that guide up at Wolloston Lake in Northern Saskatchewan. The use about 6' of heavy mono, 18" of coated wire tied together with an Albright knot and use a figure eight knot to tie the bug on. I am thinking I might take paulf's advise and crimp a snap swivel on.

I have a 8 wt Temple Forks TiCrx and 9 wt St. Croix with Lamson reels with Floating, sink tip and get down lines.

I also live where we have a lake with pike and walleye about 300 yards in front of our house. We have pontoon, kick boats, Jon boat and an open bow old fibreglass boat to use .

The future's so bright I have to wear shades!

Unfortunately this body of water currently has 21/2' of hard water over it right now! Hard to cast into a 8" hole drilled through the ice!