Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutinturnie

Help Needed

Greetins all,

Looking for some advice here. To be honest im new to both fly tying and fly fishing. Iv had a fly rod for years but never really took the time to become good at it, only caught a few brookies and a couple smallmouths here and there. As stated earlier in a post I have taken a job teaching in Northern Manitoba, Canada. Perfect oppritunity for both, awesome awesome walleye and pike fishing as well as lake trout, and pretty much winter untill June so I would have lots of time for tying.

I love new hobbies and recently started tying but I am unsure what to tie plenty of considering I am only new to the sport. Iv tied a dozen or so Wooly Buggers and Worms as well as PT and Hares ear nymphs. Again new to the hobby but my flies are starting to look pretty darn good compaired to those I have boughten commercially.

Any advice? Im hooked on the tying so far and usually try to tie 3 or 4 flies a night. I do understand that I am investing alot of time and money in something that I dont know for certain will even catch fish, just too much fun to stop.biggrin.png

Kyle

Sounds like you are off to a good start. No advise needed.

But, I will say that you should tie some clousers or other minnow imitations. There are lots of bugs up there when weather promotes the hatches. During the "off hatch" periods ... minnows will be high on the menu, especially for those walleyes and pike.

Considering your location I'd go pretty big for the fish you mentioned, probably #2 at minimum I'd think. Have you seen the show Uncut angling? They film most of their episodes in that area and offer some amazing advice, he mostly gear fishes but is also a pretty good fly fisherman and has done a couple episodes focusing on it.

I have noticed that big fish prefer to eat something familiar if possible. If the average size of forage in the area you are going to fish is 2 inches, then you should be throwing 2 inch flies. Big fish will attack something different if it looks like easy prey, but you'll get more takes on something that "matches the hatch".

Tie up some clousers in the 2" ... 4" and 6" ranges and you should be covered for anything you find.