Fly Tying
barrytheguide

The best bench ever?

if it has to overhang a table like its shown in that photo, sure wouldnt be the "best" for me! cae engineering can keep it

give me wood any day of the week

I prefer wood myself......with that said, that is pretty sweet looking! Does it break down for portability? I would hate to see the price tag!

Mike

I'm sure it's very much a one off from a engineer. As for wood, why? Your vice and all your tools are not made of,wood. I agree it's not for everyone, but a lot of work sure has gone into it.

That is pretty slick. I prefer the look of wood myself, but I can certainly appreciate the beauty of the engineering and execution of this piece. Very nice.

I notice a cloth beneath the metal portions of the bench and the surface on which it sits.

My guess this is to protect the support surface from being scratched. A rubberized or

some other similar surface underneath the bench would do the same and also might

inhibit sliding around.

The best bench ever?

based on what?

what is it compared to and how did you come to the conclusion?

doesnt seem to have places for stuff like tools etc

Nice enough, but I like wood. Metal is kinda cold. It's also too confining for my tastes, needs to be much wider. I'd feel cramped.

I took a bedroom door from lowes and made small sawhorses to lay it on. Done. That's my desk and it's amazing. Then I have tool caddies etc to hold all of the other stuff. I really don't like a bench where there isn't a bunch of room to work with around the vise.

It's nice, the Law knockoff looks nice too. However, I much prefer the custom bench that was posted recently, I can't locate the post. I think the poster's wife had it made for him and his Nor-Vise.

Outstanding engineering and craftsmanship.

Reading the above posts everyone has their own taste in everything.

I drive a Ford, I like it, but I wouldn't want to own or drive a Lamborghini.

I prefer wood myself......with that said, that is pretty sweet looking! Does it break down for portability? I would hate to see the price tag! Mike

There are other pictures of this metal "bench" online (and on another thread here) that are much better. You can clearly see the inscription on it in those pictures. This piece was done on commission, so as of now, there are no production models to buy.

Personally, I don't like lying my hands on metal. My hands get too cold just keeping them elevated, without the added heat sink of metal. This is why I prefer a wooden work surface for tying flies.

Oh, AK ... if I could afford a Lamborghini ... and the insurance ... and the tickets I'd invariably get ... I'd love to own and drive one. But I am quite happy driving what ever I can afford at the time. But I can guarantee, I'd never buy a car with a metal steering wheel.