Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

FTF Fly Pattern - Crackaig - Greenwell's Glory

Thanks, it amazes me how different this fly is today to how it was. Today this would be how it appears.

As a wet fly...

Pictures_0006_zpsa1a160df.jpg

And also as a dry fly...

Pictures_0007_zps8cff148e.jpg

I suppose it is no different to what has happened to the Adams over the years.

Cheers,

C.

Beautiful Greenwell's Crackaig. The Greenwell's, even though I am not a European product, is one of my favorite patterns. It has always been successful for me. I do like the older take on it though. Just thought I would share these as your posting of some wonderful Greenwell's deserves more comments. :)

Here is a couple I have tied recently. One is on a tiny double #16 that a friend gave me.

Greenwell%2527s%2520Double%2520%252316.j

Greenwell%2527s%2520Kendell%2520%2522A%2

I'd love to know where the gold rib idea came from on a Greenwell's It wasn't part of the original but 99% of the modern ones have it.

Here iare the only photos I have seen of the original.

post-43582-0-01752000-1395175296_thumb.jpgpost-43582-0-60155300-1395175292_thumb.jpg

I suspect that would command a lot of money if it came up for sale.

Cheers,

C.

Cool photo. Where's it from?

I think the rib came from E. M. Tod in 1903 Wet Fly Fishing Treated Methodically. He recommends a yellow floss or fine gold wire rib. So people were probably adding this already.

Looking closely at your photo it appears the fly is ribbed with something, hard to tell if it is old floss or tarnished wire.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe it is on display at the Fly Fishers Club in London. If you ever visit jacket and tie is required!

In a Dictionary of Trout Flies Courtney Williams says that he has a letter "in the Cannon's own hand" giving the dressing for his fly. The body is just thread and the hackle red game with black centre and tips known as Coch-y-bonddhu. (That may be spelt wrong, even the Welsh can't agree on the correct spelling).

That is the earliest reference I've heard for the gold rib. Apparently, form the person who took those pictures, it isn't an extra rib but uneven silk.

Recently I bought a block of cobblers wax for tying this pattern. I had been unable to find the one I had after a move. It is soft and overly dark. Just the other day I found the block of original cobblers wax I had misplaced. It gives a much nicer olive colour than the substitute I bought. Beware of imitations.

Cheers,

C.

Yeah I have some old cobblers wax and the new stuff doesn't have that same colour. I have enough to last me a long while hopefully. A little smaller than a pingpong ball.