Fly Tying
Ty Flyer

How long do you make a nymph tail?

So what exactly is the problem?

Tails on nymphs can be anywhere from 1/2 to 1 shank length long

Or make the any damn length you want them to be :)

Google fly proportion charts and use that information

As flytire says the ratio of tail length to body length varies because it varies in nature. You will also notice that body shape varies as well from flat and stout to round and thin as the mayfly nymph habitat (water velocity and stream bottom strata) changes to favor clingers, to crawlers, to swimmers, to burrowers.

http://www.delawareriverguide.net/insects/nymphid.html

http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=122

123971.jpg

Ever wonder why the Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear and the Pheasant Tail Nymphs are so popular?

It is because these two materials allow you tie a dark or light colored nymph in a thin or stout shape. They are generic and close enough in color and shape to imitate most mayfly nymphs.

pheasanttail.jpeg

pheasant-tail.jpg

253.jpg

200175_xlg.jpg

For visual balance, though, about one hook gap, which is also about 1/2 HSL, unless you are using a 2xl or 3xl hook.

Some things we tie to please ourselves, not the fish. Fish aren't usually as finicky as we are....

I've not met a fly tier that is very finicky about the exact length of a nymph tail, but I have met fly tiers that are very particular about tying long tails on mayflies like Hexagenia Limbata that have long tails. I tie my tails on maylfy adults about the length of hook shank regardless of the true length.

Giant+Mayfly+%2528Hexagenia+limbala%2529

This is just my opinion, but I think a nymph looks better (at least in the vise and the fly box) with a shorter 1/2 shank-length or gap-length tail vs. the longer full shank-length one. Just my opinion. Not sure what the fish think.

Joe

Ty Flyer, you've gotten some great advice here. Just keep in mind that some types of materials when too long can result in fouling issues. Marabou as an example, has wonderful motion to it, makes a good tailing material, but can wrap around the hook frequently on the cast if tied too long, so consider that as well. Like others I generally keep the tails no longer than 1 shank length, but shorter on some specific patterns. There are really no set in stone rules about tail lengths or most anything else in tying, but both form & function should be considerations. The best looking fly can become the most useless fly if it constantly fouls.

When I used to tie commercially I went to great lengths making flies I tied consistent, as folks expect that to be the case. Now, I know I'll tie sometimes & just go with what looks good at the time, which means I end up with some variance in my flies as I may not tie them exactly the same each time I sit down at the bench. The fish don't seem to care.

Note from illustrations (the one above is nice) that nymphs don't have "tails" as we think of them.

Most sport just a few small hair like projections, 2 or 3 being usual. They are actually gills, on most, or clasping appendages... But not "tails"

So.... we come along and usually hang whopping big marabou dust mops out the back. I've read this started as a way to add movement to an otherwise lifeless fly.

If you're going for lifelike, keep tails sparse and hair-like.

If you just want a nymph-y looking fly, tie a Briminator and get to fishing.

Almost invariably when a beginner ties a nymph they make the tails "on the long side", Sometimes overly long. This doesn't seem to matter much to the fish. It does show the beginner's lack of control over the materials. This is only to be expected. As the beginner progresses the tails tend to get shorter. You can see from the excellent illustration above, that tails tend to range from half the length of the abdomen to about the same length of the body. Therefore anything in that range is about right. You will also notice that a few people have stated a preference for shorter tails. It seems to me what happens is that as tiers progress they learn to control the materials more. Once they have developed this control they are going to use it, even if just to show they can, and why not?

When I start to work out the tying of one of my semi realistic flies I go to Google and search for images of the natural I am looking to imitate. Usually I have an idea of what I am going to do, but for the details a static image is easier to study. In the image beloware two flies at opposite ends of the tail length spectrum. The gills on a dragonfly nymph are amongst the shortest "tails" in relation to body size.

post-43582-0-72285600-1419055129_thumb.jpg

Those though, are flies designed and tied for fisherman (fish don't pay me for flies). As many others have said it isn't really that important to the fish. Getting the length you want them though, will increase the confidence you fish the fly with. That is always a good thing.

Cheers,

C.

Note from illustrations (the one above is nice) that nymphs don't have "tails" as we think of them.

Most sport just a few small hair like projections, 2 or 3 being usual. They are actually gills, on most, or clasping appendages... But not "tails"

I respectfully disagree. The gills of a mayfly nymph are the filamentous appendages along the abdomen segment and not the "tails." Note the illustrations below.

The tails are actually called tails when they are the sensory cerci. Cerci can also be the clasping appendages and are shorter and separate from the tails as noted in the top illustration below. So the tail of our patterns do represent the tails of a mayfly nymph. The clasping cerci are the short appendages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cercus

mayanat.jpg

Ephemo3.jpg

nymident.jpg