Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hcfliesandjigs

Organization

Hey guys I am in a little bit of a bind. Up until this point I have been tying flies and storing my things in my unfinished basement. So the wife was fine with it being a little messy. Now thanks to pinterest my wife has came up with a million ways that are "easy" to finish the basement and make it a "cute living space". Anyhow the only way I am gonna be able to keep tying flies and keep her happy is if I can come up with a way of organizing all of my stuff and be able to shut the doors and the mess disappear. So I decide to get a computer desk so I can shut the doors and things go away but I have since realized I have way to much stuff to store in there. So how do you guys store your fly boxes, and rods and extra tying materials in a way that is discrete and can be hidden? I have 3 rods now and plan on adding maybe 3 more to my arsenal. After that I was thinking along the lines of using a trunk and keeping flies and materials in tuberware boxes inside the trunk. I don't really want hang cabinets if I can get by without doing it. Just looking for other ideas and storage ideas because I know my wife isn't the only one out there wanting things to be able to disappear when people come over.

The final point above is key. You will out grow any space. To be honest I think its time you took off the skirt and put on the trousers. It's your basement. She has the whole of the rest of the house to make 'cute' so she keeps out of your one little room and you'll keep quiet and fund all her 'cute' crap everywhere else in the house. You da man.

The final point above is key. You will out grow any space. To be honest I think its time you took off the skirt and put on the trousers. It's your basement. She has the whole of the rest of the house to make 'cute' so she keeps out of your one little room and you'll keep quiet and fund all her 'cute' crap everywhere else in the house. You da man.

And all the people said " AMEN, BROTHER!"

Plano boxes have been my god send. The deeper ones for flash and dubbing, normal size for hooks, beads, glue, rubber legs and string feathers, then the giant ones with handles got hackle and large patches of hair/bucktail. They stack and can be labeled to find stuff quickly. I have roughly 40 or so but also use them to store flies.

Today I bought an eight pack of plastic storage boxes from Costco. I spent a couple of hours yesterday organizing and gave up. Now, I have all my dry fly hackle in one box, a box of dear, elk, boar, moose, bear. A box of marabou, ostrich, turkey, etc...I've filled up seven boxes and I still can't see the surface on my tying table! I need more boxes, haven't even started on the synthetics and flash.

I did find the HMH Spartan I promised to take a few pictures of as I am thinking about selling it. Too tired now, but if I do sell I'm going to stuff the box full of tying material instead of bubble wrap, sheesh I am overwhelmed!

post-4070-0-24618500-1395011087_thumb.jpg

I tie in the attic, The wife's arthiritus won't let her go up there. Best solution known to man.

if you can't have a mancave in the basement build one outside. 12'x20' is just about perfect for a starter fly tying shed; also will provide adequate room to do some custom rods!

if you can't have a mancave in the basement build one outside. 12'x20' is just about perfect for a starter fly tying shed; also will provide adequate room to do some custom rods!

or she can decorate the shed to her hearts content and live in it.

grow a pair and take over that space in the basement

lol ok guys thanks for the encouragement and support. I am going to draw a line in the basement and label it man cave. The plano boxes sounds like a pretty good idea that will make things fairly easy and I do have a lot of them with traditional tackle that I probably will not ever throw again. I will clean that all out and start organizing things shortly. Hope to get to it soon as the temperature is starting to climb here and the lakes have finally thawed. Fishing will be in full swing soon.

So long as she remembers that the smelly, cold, dreary basement is the best place for you to go you'll be ok. If she thinks its your idea then your stuck.

The other thing I did was start tying in the lounge. Two nights of fluff and feathers saw the wife sign off on my elec supply to the shed, new lights, heater, desk.

And all the people said " AMEN, BROTHER!"

Amen (said very quietly just In case my wife is watching...she knows everything)

I used to suffer with that illusion too!

If you are finishing the basement then finish a portion of it for YOU. Add walls and a door, presto, clutter disappears. Give yourself plenty of room for a tying area and gear storage. You will both be happier in the long run.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest. Take as much space as you possibly can, even if it means a squabble. You will need it, you know what you need, don't get stuck with a closet size area. You'll regret it and it will only cause bigger arguments in the long run.