Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adventure568

Chest pack vs Sling pack

I'm currently debating if I should get a sling pack or keep my chest pack. I currently fish with the small chest pack from orvis. It does the job very well, but I do get neck pains after awhile. But what concerns me about a sling pack is the water depth. Sometimes I go wet wading past my waist and I'm worried the sling pack will get soaked. I have never tried a sling pack, so any input or advice is appreciated.

Large chest packs are a pain in the neck. A chest backpack combo evens weight between front and back and takes pressure off neck. There are many variations from mostly chest pack to full backpack with chest pockets to vest-like packs. See link below for images.

I think a moderate chest pack with a hydration bladder on the back would balance pretty good. Room on the back for jacket and lunch would be perfect, for me.

If you're handy, you can roll your own by adding chest pockets to the straps of your favorite backpack or hydration pack.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chest+pack&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aAIvU9T0DoLvqwHcmYHwAg&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1685&bih=1061&dpr=0.9#q=chest+pack+fishing&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgdii=

I used chest packs for a long time and recently switched to the Blue River pack by Fishpond. It can actually be used as a chest pack or as a sling pack. If I'm going to go in deep enough to dunk it, I just make the quick adjustment that turns it into a chest pack and keep fishing. I can make the adjustment standing in mid-stream with the rod under my arm.

http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/blue-river-chest-lumbar-pack/189

I have been having a similar debate also, but for me it is fanny pack vs. sling. I tried a chest pack years ago and could never get over the fact that I couldn't always see my feet when wading. Went back to a vest. The last year or so I have been using a fanny pack, mostly because it limits the amount of crap I can carry. I mostly like it but as has been mentioned, you have to be careful about wading depth. The slings that I have looked at would carry stuff somewhat higher than my fanny so that would help with the wet fly box problem. My main concern is comfort with regard to carrying all the weight on one shoulder all day long. Anyone have any experience with that?

Steve

I have been having a similar debate also, but for me it is fanny pack vs. sling. I tried a chest pack years ago and could never get over the fact that I couldn't always see my feet when wading. Went back to a vest. The last year or so I have been using a fanny pack, mostly because it limits the amount of crap I can carry. I mostly like it but as has been mentioned, you have to be careful about wading depth. The slings that I have looked at would carry stuff somewhat higher than my fanny so that would help with the wet fly box problem. My main concern is comfort with regard to carrying all the weight on one shoulder all day long. Anyone have any experience with that?

Steve

On hot days, I use a medium shoulder bag (not a fishing specific one.) When fully loaded, with water, lunch and raingear, it gets heavy on the shoulder. I think good sling packs would be a bit better for your shoulder but still an issue. I usually put a large water bottle and other water resistant stuff in a fanny pack which moves a lot of weight off my shoulder. This makes my shoulder bag fine for a full day of fishing.

BTW - I rejected chest packs for the same reason - can't see where my feet are landing, both wading and scrambling down steep banks. I tried a small chestpack that barely stuck out, but it was tight to my chest, blocked air circulation and created a wet sweat spot.

I have a sling pack. I like it pretty well but I still use my vest sometimes as well. I like the fact that I can sling it to my back while fishing and have it out of my way.

Thanks for relating your experience Bruce. I don't think that I would haul both the fanny and a sling, I am trying force myself to keep the amount of stuff that I carry to a reasonable amount. I have a shop nearby that has a couple of different models so I might just have to bring the fanny in to the shop and empty it into a sling and see how it feels.

Steve

I have used about a dozen packs and vests over the last 15 years and the Orvis guide sling pack is BY FAR the most comfortable and the best in deep water. The other types of packs fill certain niches better, but the Orvis pack is what I use 95% of the time.

I used a Fishpond chest pack for several years, and really liked it. But same problem… couldn't see my feet while wading. (It didn't help that my feet are getting harder to see without a pack :-( )

So for Christmas, my wife got me a Patagonia sling pack, and I love it. Everything is on my back, out of the way. There's plenty of room for everything, and it even has a slot for a water bottle, which my chest pack didn't have. I never really notice it on my back while fishing, and it's real easy to swing around to access whatever I need.

Thanks for relating your experience Bruce. I don't think that I would haul both the fanny and a sling, I am trying force myself to keep the amount of stuff that I carry to a reasonable amount. I have a shop nearby that has a couple of different models so I might just have to bring the fanny in to the shop and empty it into a sling and see how it feels.

Steve

I hear you. We definitely don't want to bring more stuff.

Actually, when using waders, I replace my wading belt with a small belt bag that holds my water bottle, so nothing extra.

Sounds like there are some great slings that others have recommended.

...same problem… couldn't see my feet while wading. (It didn't help that my feet are getting harder to see without a pack :-( )

Exactly my reason for not using a chest pack.

For trout fishing, I use a vest. For warmwater, I have improvised a shoulder bag. Same idea as a sling pack.

Over the years I have tried several different types of gear: vests, chest packs, slings and lumbar. The last 4 years I settled on a lumbar pack from fishpond. It takes all the weight off of my shoulders and puts it lower on my body. When using anything sitting on my shoulders I found my back would tire and cramp after 5 or 6 hours. No problem with the lumbar pack. It holds everything I need (I'm a guide) and frees up the front of my body to work properly: casting, landing fish, photos, instruction without anything getting in the way. Granted it does sit lower on my body (stabilizes my center of gravity) and will get wet if you wade deep but if it gets wet all I have to do is dry it out overnight. There is nothing in the pack that can get destroyed by water - after all, everything we carry was made to be in the water.