Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adventure568

Chest pack vs Sling pack

I used a vest for many years and a lanyard and a fishing shirt set up for about 3 years. Wasn't satisfied with either. I got an Orvis guide sling pack last year and love it. You can pack enough stuff in it to fish for a week or just enough for a few hours. You don't have to load it up. However you use it, heavy or light, you don't even know it's there. There are many sling packs out there but after comparing, I believe the Orvis guide sling has the most thought put into the design. The guide sling is expensive and well built. I decided to go with the guide model so I would have the extra room if I ever needed it. I had it loaded to the max for 8 days on the Madison in October, and it performed well. Can't do that with a standard sized pack. I have no affiliation with Orvis although it sounds like it, actually the first and only Orvis product I own.

I've been using the Orvis Guide Sling for about a year and a half and I'm a fan as well. I do kinda cinch it up tighter/hold it up a bit if I'm making a wader-topping wade across a river, but generally don't have issues with it getting wet. I do like that there's a ton of room compared to my old chest pack, so it's easy to have water, a sandwich, and a rain jacket or extra layer (or room to take a layer off and stuff it away partway through the day). I generally don't carry too much gear though and it lays nice and flat when it isn't filled up and doesn't feel bulky. Also not an Orvis shill... only piece of their gear I own.

Got the Orvis sling pack for Christmas, tried it out the other day and it works great for me. should have got one along time ago.