Fly Tying
Spanky29ca

What does everyone do for work?

part time volunteer fire chief/emt by day and when i can go ..by night maintenance mechanic/ crash ,fire ,rescue,emt for a regional airport. And 2 very energetic boys at home and my wife ...so i stay pretty busy

Again, late to the discussion, but oh, well.

As of now, I'm a cashier at a major hardware store. Some days it can be fun, others not so much (think angry customers cussing you out, and dirty (in every sense of the word) old men hitting on you). I just recently graduated college with a degree in environmental studies, so I've been putting applications out there, hoping to break into that field full-time soon.

Before that, I've worked as an office assistant in a middle school and in an environmental firm. And I've also worked with the state's environmental agency (granted, that was an internship, but it still counts, right?).

Please don't blame us dirty (not in every sense) old men, if'n you're a pretty young woman. Remember, some of those guys were the shy boys who couldn't talk to a girl in High School. They're just trying to make up for it.

But the ones that get ugly about it ... you have MY permission to kick 'em right in the nu ... knee !!!

One of my Nieces is Marine Biologist. She got into the field by working for a whale watching company, doing tours and talking about the whales. Put her on the fast track to where she is now, because of the number of people she met.

You might be able to go a similar route ... look for nature walks and reservation guides. Anyway, good luck with your chosen career.

Mike's right. For every job opening there's a hundred applicants, and most interviewers will only look at maybe the top ten or twenty. Sometimes volunteering for a program in your field can open doors. I've seen it happen lots of times.

I really appreciate the advice! I've looked into trying to do another internship position (which, is technically considered "volunteer) at a couple of different agencies because the HR of the agency I really want to work with suggested it, but most of the internships require you to actually be a student... And since I just graduated, well, you see the dilemma, right? But, it does seem like things are going to work out either way. I'm just now starting out, so it's too early to lose faith!

I have a friend who's sister actually got her start in Marine Biology by doing whale watching tours. She came and spoke to my coastal ecology class once, and the pictures and stories she had to tell were simply amazing! She said one of her gigs was working on a commercial fishing boat. Not gonna lie, I've kinda wanted to try that after seeing all the cool pictures!

Hahaha, thanks, Mike. I'll remember that next time some old creeper proposes... again. Gosh, I can almost guarentee that y'all wouldn't believe half the things creepers have said to me since I started working as a cashier. Some things I just can't make up. Like, being asked out on a date... to a funeral... from someone old enough to be my father....

Official job title is Registered Vascular Technologist. I use ultrasound to find and monitor venous and arterial disease, and assist in ultrasound guided procedures for varicose veins and dialysis access complications

Official job title is Registered Vascular Technologist. I use ultrasound to find and monitor venous and arterial disease, and assist in ultrasound guided procedures for varicose veins and dialysis access complications

No offense intended ... but if you look like your avatar ... I am not letting you get close to me holding a "gun" in your hand, even if it is just an ultrasonic transducer (Or what ever you call those) !!!

Travis only got into ultrasound because with all that hair the Doppler was the only way to take his pulse.

Caswilso, maybe the funeral reminded the guy of all the time he'd wasted and he decided to live everyday?? Or he wanted to make the widow jealous that he's been after for the last 40yrs.

cas, if you think you've met dirty (in EVERY sense of the word) people, just wait until you get into commercial fishing.....

If you like the idea of being involved in commercial fisheries, go on USAJOBS and start looking for positions with NMFS.

During the first several years of my Marine Corps time, I was an Aviation Electronics technician on C130s. Great plane, most versatile aircraft ever built.

They say that if you think the hum of a C130 is the most beautiful sound in the world, then you are either a Coastie or a Marine. LOL

When I win the PowerBall, I know that is gonna be my personal aircraft.... Hell, now I even know who to hire as a Crew Chief and a Driver!!!! This site really CAN solve all the world's problems....

And I'll work for a pittance. Since I'll be crewing the bird, I'll get to go where ever you do (Fishing, I am assuming) and that will be part of my pay package.

Throw in three meals a day and I get to bring my wife along and you won't even notice my salary coming out of your winnings.

During the first several years of my Marine Corps time, I was an Aviation Electronics technician on C130s. Great plane, most versatile aircraft ever built.

They say that if you think the hum of a C130 is the most beautiful sound in the world, then you are either a Coastie or a Marine. LOL

When I win the PowerBall, I know that is gonna be my personal aircraft.... Hell, now I even know who to hire as a Crew Chief and a Driver!!!! This site really CAN solve all the world's problems....

I'll sign on for the DRIVER position!

And I'll work for a pittance. Since I'll be crewing the bird, I'll get to go where ever you do (Fishing, I am assuming) and that will be part of my pay package.

Throw in three meals a day and I get to bring my wife along and you won't even notice my salary coming out of your winnings.

:) Mike, I never realized you were a HERC guy!

Literally the 130 was MY ONLY plane (aside from flight school)!

She ALWAYS brought us home each and every mission! I did a 900 mile round trip to Cannon AFB NM because it was the right thing to do.....sad to say I am "old" now at 45 years old and two of my weapon systems have/will be retired...AC-130H and MC-130....... :(

http://www.cannon.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123410070

Mike just make sure you aren't including MRE's as part of the "package"....LOL......

Mike :)

Yep ... the C-130 was my first bird in the Corps. Even got my taxi license. Love that platform.

Did you get out before the Ospreys started coming online? I did ... but they were just starting to test them, and I was looking forward to it. Then the Forced Reduction came and the Corps laid me off. I kind of lost my loyalty to them at that point. I actually consider myself an Ex-Marine ... maybe the only one in the Country.

I do kind of miss MREs, though.

I do as well on the MRE Subject Mike!!!!

We made an entire "chess set" sitting in the sandbox out of the little bottles in there!

Here is a pic that will bring back a few memories for you!!!!

Tobasco_sauce_in_an_MRE.png

No I did not get out before the MH53J replacement in AFSOC. Sad state of affairs when that happened but we all can't dwell on the past!

Bring on the MH-53 "K" to AFSOC and replace the gap that was left when the Pave Low left!!!!

Mike smile.png

BTW my MRE of choice was TUNA.....sad to see it TOO left years ago!