Fly Tying
eisik

Rod reccomendation

Hi!

I am thinking about adding a new rod to my, pretty small, arsenal in the coming weeks. I have two pretty decent rods already. A Sage Z-Axis 1004 4wt and a Guideline LPXE 1004 7wt.

I guess i'm looking for a rod that fits in between those two. It needs to have a pretty fast action and able to handle short as well as longer casts.

I fish strictly freshwater, lakes and streams. All kinds of flies, dries, pupae, streamers. Regarding species this rod would be used for char and brown trout.

I will of course be heading to my local tackle shops to try out some rods but i thought i might get your two cents before heading out.

I'm on a pretty tight budget so that should limit the choosing a bit.

Regards

Eidur

I have close to 30 rods and I was always mainly a Sage man myself with a few others in the mix (Orvis, Winston, Loomis and some bamboo) but got turned on to the Echo rods a couple of years ago. They make a fantastic rod that will not break your wallet. Tim Rajeff of Echo was one of the masterminds behind Sage. I'm not affiliated with Echo in anyway, but I love their product. Several years ago, I never thought I would say this but I prefer the Echo to anything I have. I fish for everything from native trout to Atlantic salmon to musky and carp. Just my 2 cents worth.

I just bought a Temple Forks Outfitters BVK series 9' 5-wt. four piece rod and I really like it. I've always been primarily an Orvis guy (I live close to the company HQ and knew people that worked there over the years), but my current budget kind of pushes them out of the picture. I go on an annual saltwater fly fishing trip to Cape Cod every year and noticed that several of the guys had bought TFO rods as back-ups or as lower cost alternatives for loaners, etc. I casted a couple and was impressed, so I decided to try one of their trout rods.

Another budget rod I was surprised with is a Ross Worldwide I bought a couple of years ago. I think it casts well above its pay grade.

I've also read a lot of great reports on the ECHO rods and will probably try one of those next. It seems there is growing competition to the big name, high-end rods; excellent alternatives at excellent prices.

Another alternative is to roll you own. I have a 2-wt. I put together with a Pacific Bay blank that was inexpensive but is a nice rod. Same goes for a 6-wt. I built with a G. Loomis IM6 blank several years ago.

God luck with your choice,

Bob

Thanks for the replies!

I've checked out the Beulah rods witch Heavynets reccomends but unfortunatly they are not available in Iceland so i'd have to order one blind. That worries me a bit.

The thing with buying a rod in my country is that they may be budget rods in the States but here they tend to cost quite a lot of Icelandic Krónur.

The only Echo rod that is with in my price range is the Echo Solo. Has aybody tried it out?

I have been very interested in the TFO BVK for some time but it just costs to much in Iceland. It's a 260 dollar rod in the States but costs just north of 600 dollars here.

Here are a few rods in my price range that are available here in Reykjavík. Would be nice to here your opinion about them...

Echo Solo

Vision Vipu

A.Jensen Titan

Guideline Exp4

Redington Crosswater

WInston Passport (this one is a bit out of my price range but i find it interesting)

Redington Pursuit

Zpey Switch Z1 (Same as the Winston Passport)

Airflo Nano

Orvis Clearwater

As i said, these rods are all in my price range here in Iceland. All of the rods are available as either 9ft 6wt or 9,6ft 6wt witch is what i am looking for. I would love to here your oppinions about any of these rods.

Eidur

Good morning Eidur,

First I want to say good luck in your quest for a new rod. It is interesting what people have and why they like it.

Couple of rods on your list I would like to comment on.

First is the Orvis Clearwater. I have one of these. I usually fish this on smaller streams where presentation is everything. I find it is extremely accurate within 40 feet. However I do not care for how it casts much beyond 60 feet. It feel a bit slow in the hand.

I have had the occation to try the Eco Solo rod. It felt incredable and would concider it for another rod. Although I have not fished with one as of yet.

Something I would like to recommend is the Temple Fork Outfitters Signature Series rod. It is only a 2 piece rod, however I really like it. (Also the Pro Series is a 4 piece for $30 more) I have had this rod on large ponds where we chuck #4 streamers on full sink lines. I have had it on smaller streams nymphing. I have even used it on small mouth bass on the larger rivers. I like how well it presents out to 60 feet, and at the same time I can through 95 plus in the right conditions.

Hope this helps in you quest.

Michael

Winston Passport is a very accurate rod within 40-50- ft but I would not call it "fast" more like medium fast and probably should not be used with lines that are heavier than the rod rating. It casts very comfortably though. It amazes me how expensive rods are in Iceland, would it be cheaper for you to build your own?

I have both the Echo (its an Echo 2,) and Reddington Crosswater. The Reddington is a 4 weight, and the Echo is an 8 weight. I like both rods. The problem for you is trying to fit something between your 4 and 7 weights. Your options are a 5 or 6 weight. With my Crosswater, I fish medium size streams, and have no problem handling a 40 to 50' case, but I usually fish much closer than that. The Echo 2 was a unique rod from Echo in that it had two different tips one makes the rod a 9'6" and the other tip makes the rod a 10 footer. I use the Echo for streamer fishing big lake, and for fishing for Steelhead and Salmon in the great lakes. I will also be using it now for casting big bugs for bass, and big streamers for Red fish.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Echo or Reddington rod. They are fine rods for the money. I have never been at all convinced that a 1000 dollar rod will make me cast 10 times further than a hundred dollar rod. I don't usually buy a rod until after I have had a chance to try it out, but the Echo 2 was purchased on-line.

The choice between a 5 or 6 weight given that you have a 7 weight for longer casts with bigger flies, would be a 5 weight 9 foot. Select one with some after trying out the ones you mentioned. Pick the one that offers the most versatility, and a good breakage replacement policy. Any rod that doesn't offer no fault replacements at a reasonable cost I would rule out.

I went with the Echo Solo rod. 9ft 6wt.

Even got an Echo ION reel at a very good price along with it. Now i only need a 6wt line and i'm good to go :)

Can't wait to give it a proper go and see how it handles the fishies!

You will like the setup. I use the ION reel for both trout and Salmon. The reel has a tremendous drag system. I use the 7/9 reel for 25 - 30# King Salmon and don't even have to think if the reel has the guts for the fight - it does.

Enjoy the new setup!!

Happy fishing

The wise option for a budget minded rod buyer is to stick with either odd or even line numbers. There is not a lot of difference between 5 and 6 or a 5 and 4. There is a noticeable difference between a 4 and a 6. To each their own however. After several years out of the fly game I came back and bought a 5wt to start on Warmwater.. I knew I would want a 9wt for the salt and maybe big bass bugs. I bought a 7wt to be in between and heavier than a 5wt. I then wanted a lighter rod so a 3 was the logical choice. I found no 6' rods in a 3wt for the $$$ I wanted to spend. I did find a TFO in a 2wt that was in my price range so I took a chance. It has been a good purchase and is by far my most used rod. It will handle a 2 line but for me a 3 or 4 line fits it better and it will handle up to a 5 with no problem so it fit in my herd just fine. I am now looking to add a 2 or 3 wt 6' glass rod just for giggles if I find one in my budget.