Fly Tying
ryveradair

expensive vices

I think for what the OP has in mind $150 should be all he needs to spend to get a quality tool. I believe that HMH and Dyna-King make models in this range and with a little time asking around at shops or looking at flea-bay or craigslist you should be able to find a used one for a good price. I have an HMH Spartan that served me well for years. For tying stuff that isn't real big it will give many years of service with minimal care.

Steve

Your "Best" is only "mo-better." biggrin.png

There are several top end vises that are better than a Mongoose, although it is a very good vise.

There are several top end vises that are better than a Mongoose, although it is a very good vise.

Yep. This is 100% my opinion, but many of the top end vises are more than double the price. That's my reasoning in selecting it as "best." The mongoose holds ANY hook at 100% lockout.

I started on a cheap Thompson knock off and it just would not hold the hooks. I make a vise out of vise grips and that would hold a hook (hair bugs) and I used it for several years. I eventually graduated to a DanVise and I have been happy with it after 7 years. I will say that I do intend to buy a NorVise one of these days after the sticker shock passes.

I had a renzetti traveler for about 15 years,decided to upgrade to the renzetti 2000,renzetti's are worth every penny they cost.Sold the traveler on ebay for 110.00,i originally paid 125.00 for it.

Yep. This is 100% my opinion, but many of the top end vises are more than double the price. That's my reasoning in selecting it as "best." The mongoose holds ANY hook at 100% lockout.

I started with a $130 Anvil Apex which served its purpose well to a new tyer. After almost a year I had mangled the jaws and was ready to graduate to a full rotary vise. I did my research, had a few vises in the $150-250 price range and bit the bullet and went with the Mongoose which ran me exactly $250 with my frequent tyer discount at my local shop;-). I have yet to have a single regret, enjoy the accessories that are included with the vise, a carrying case, pedestal and C - clamp, bobbin, hackle gauge, extension post and handle for the rotary function. They have a lifetime warranty and great customer service.

Also would like to note that in contacting Apex about the mangled jaws they without question sent me a replacement set of jaws at no cost that arrived in 4-5 days to Canada.

I came this close to buying a law vise when they could be had for less than 400$. If i consider what i spent on vises since i should have bought it then.

Renzetti cam was about 175$ regal pedistal 225, thompson 360 slt 160$ , anvil apex 99$. Then my present norvise. 300+, Had a few others but trades covered those. Spent close to a grand since 1995. Definitely should have bought the law.

I came this close to buying a law vise when they could be had for less than 400$. If i consider what i spent on vises since i should have bought it then.

Renzetti cam was about 175$ regal pedistal 225, thompson 360 slt 160$ , anvil apex 99$. Then my present norvise. 300+, Had a few others but trades covered those. Spent close to a grand since 1995. Definitely should have bought the law.

I have a Law and it is elegant. IMO, it's as much art as tool. It is arguably the finest fly tying vise ever, but in the end, it's only a hook holder.

Since buying a Nor-Vise, my Law hasn't seen much use. The Nor is an entirely different species.

Will I sell the Law? No.

Well, maybe when it's time to buy my dream fishing truck.

Like most of the other posts it is personal preference. Personally, I don't like the "goose neck" style of vise - they seem to impede my style of tying. I have used a lot of different vises but for the last 30 years I've been using a Regal. Great vise.

Not looking at "Expensive" vises but you might want to look at this video.......

Toss aside the marketing but if you can't actually try the vise out take a peek!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYHUeRe55h0

I am a beginner fly tying guy and went with the Peak Rotary.....for me the price point was outstanding, lots of folks here in CO tie on it, and it is a local product (a must for me).......

I would buy the Renzetti Traveler vise. The master vise is just pretty. I got my first Renzetti back in the 70's and I use it today. If you want a cheaper vise look at a Peak vise. You really need a rotary vise to tie good flies.

Thanks COMike

That Youtube video would be good advice to folks just starting out without any gear. It would have been better if it had been more general. Most everyone would agree with his sequence of vises, from very basic, to basic rotatable, to fully rotary, but I doubt you could get any agreement on his "pick" for each of the categories, and he would have been more helpful if he had stressed that those were just examples of each type, but not by any means all of the choices. I thought he kinda understated the importance (or at least the convenience) of being able to work on the bottom of the fly without having to unclasp the hook.

Also a bit more info about the bobbin cradle would have helped. I am not aware of any of the non-fully rotary vises that come equipped with one. I have a basic-rotatable vise and I made my own stand-alone bobbin cradle (which is nice because you can simply move it out of the way when you don't need it).

The Peak is a nice vise, and good price. That white pedestal base makes it look like lab equipment. I'm not crazy about the c-clamp that comes with it, but I do like the pedestal base.

I would buy the Renzetti Traveler vise. The master vise is just pretty. I got my first Renzetti back in the 70's and I use it today. If you want a cheaper vise look at a Peak vise. You really need a rotary vise to tie good flies.

I feel the same way.

The traveler is a great blue collar, working vise. I don't see the point in spending more for some shiny bits that don't actually help with the tying flies end of things. I think I got mine 6 or 7 years ago. I see no point in "upgrading" to a more expensive one.