Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Woodpaddler

Double fly setup

Which way do you put your double fly setup together.

First fly with 18" of tippet then clinch knot then 2nd fly on the end and any weight between the flies.

Tie 18" tippet to the hook of the first fly and weight it between the flies if needed.

Tie on dropper line for the first fly then tie 2nd on the end of tippet.

What about the weight being the dropper line so it can pull off if snagged without losing the flies.

You find one cast easier.

Just wondering as I sit and watch the snow coming down.

Barry

If wet fishing I fish the heaviest fly on the point.

When dry fishing I like to fish a less buoyant fly on a dropper that will be more of an emerger than a true dry.

I am using a smaller streamer or nymph behing a bigger fly (streamer) a lot, but I never put any weight a the tippet connecting the flies? Which situation does require this additional weight?

I would only use flies of different weights to achieve a depth I wanted. I wouldn't add any weight to the physical line. If using a team of buzzers I like my line to be as straight as possible so any takes are easier to notice and the flies fish the same column of water. You can buy fly lines that sink belly at the same speed as the tip but then you need your flies to fall level or defeat the purpose.