Fly Tying
RodL

Rotary Hackle Pliers

I'm beginning to have some issues with my rotating hackle pliers, it seems like every time I attach them to the tip of the hackle and begin to wrap the hackle slips out of the pliers. Looking at the tips of the pliers everything appears to be normal, the tips are coming together with no gaps, one of the tips has a piece of rubber on it and I have changed the little piece of rubber many times and I'm still having the same problem. The pliers are several years old and I'm thinking about getting a new pair if this problem cannot be resolved, any suggestions on what I can do to try and fix this problem would be appreciated as would some opinions on what everyone is using and the pros/cons of each. My pliers are made by Tiemco.

Rodney

I can't help you with the fix.

I've been tying for a long time and my favorite hackle pliers are made by C&F Designs. They are fantastic.

C&F makes rotary hackle pliers too, but I can only assume they are great.

post-4070-0-74179700-1396236731_thumb.jpg

post-4070-0-49860500-1396237007_thumb.jpg

Unspring the pliers by sliding them sideways, force the two halves apart just a little then return them to proper plier form. This will increase the spring tension some. I've had to do this many time over a few different pair of these.

that would be nearly impossible with the type oldtrout posted

rodl

if they are similar to these then try the method above

IMG_3842.JPG

T8316.jpg

Thanks guys I will give the method mentioned a try , if that doesn't work then I'll have to get a new set. I tie a ton of parachute flys and for me the rotary pliers work the best.

Rodney

As a new guy....and JUST starting tying........can you tell me why a Rotary Hackle Plier is necessary or has an advantage?

Thanks,

Mike :)

supposedly it makes tying a parachute hackle a lot easier and maybe less twist in the hackle stem

9 times out of 10 i use the natural hackle pier on the end of my hand: fingers

Mike - I use the short handle type shown in flytire's post. I find I can handle delicate stemmed feathers (like Partridge) better, and also seems to be easier to control stem twist as I'm wrapping. A lot of this has to do with personal preference.

RodL - I have replaced the little rubber sleeve on the jaw with heat shrink tubing from Radio Shack when the original wore out. When I did this, I left about 1/8 inch of tubing sticking out beyond the end of the jaw. This helps prevent the delicate stems from making a sharp bend and breaking. You also might try smoothing the edges of the bare jaw with VERY fine Emery cloth to take any sharp edge off. I've done this with all types of hackle pliers.

One thing you want to do is make sure you don't have any small fibers in the jaws from the last feather you used. That will make them slip, too.

My only use for rotary hackle pliers is tying parachutes. It does seem, to me, to be a bit easier, but not all that much. About half the time, I forget I have them, and pick up my ol' faithful English hackle pliers.

COMike: I use both rotary and regular hackle pliers on standard and parachute patterns, I prefer the rotary pliers on the parachute flies but don't really see any advantage to using them just a personal preference for me when tying that style of fly. They do help me when wrapping a hackle horizontally around the wing post but it can be done with regular hackle pliers without any problems.

Chase Creek: Thanks for the tip on changing out the rubber piece on the end of the hackle pliers, unfortunately I tried that when they first started having slippage issue and they still slip, no problems with breaking the hackle tips just slippage.

Rodney

supposedly it makes tying a parachute hackle a lot easier and maybe less twist in the hackle stem

9 times out of 10 i use the natural hackle pier on the end of my hand: fingers

Ditto. I only use hackle pliers if there is very little to hold on to (like when using partridge or starling.)

Thanks for the info on the rotary hackle pliers and their utility! After reading more and more, watching videos, and actually tying my first two flies...I can now start to understand why folks would like to have them. Another tool that I will add to the arsenal in the future!

Was just myself looking at that tool Silver. Might have a friend grab it for me when he's over in States July. Much cheaper from there.