Fly Tying
Adventure568

150$ a good deal?

So there's this gun shop down the road from me that is selling a HUGE lot of fly tying supplies. It was from a "master fly tier" that had to stop because he got Parkinson's disease. The guy at the shop said he had all his supplies. There were about 10 or so boxes filled with supplies from everything you could imagine. There were countless hooks and feathers, thread etc. my only worry is that some of it could be really old. Will this make a difference? I'm a beginner fly tier and if I buy this it will definitly be good for years- there is an incredible amount of stuff. The man who donated this was probably in his late 70s from what I guess. I want to know what you guys think, and if the old stuff is worth it. Any advice is appreciated- thanks

If you see even one or two dry fly capes or saddles its a steal, usually you only come out ahead on these types of deals, grab it before someone else does.

Browse a fly tying catalog, any (current) fly tying catalog, and start picking out the things you'd like. See how long it takes you to get up to $150. Without looking into the boxes, I'm pretty sure it's a bargain, especially for a new fly tier who doesn't have much in the way of materials to begin with.

If there are any tools included, then it's a steal!

When I got into the sport I grabbed a box of stuff from a guy who was getting out of the sport...tying materials, cheap vises, tools, flies, boxes, magazines, dvds, a fly rod and reel, two nets etc, the list goes on and on. It cost me $200 and I have sold around $400 worth of stuff from that box and still have all the extra goodies for myself...these kinds of deals can be great to stock your own boxes and anything you wont use can be sold, traded or otherwise given to someone else.

I agree...What you do not want sell it and you probably got all of it for pennies on the dollar!

Yep, if you have the money I would definitely go for it. Plus who knows, if some of the stuff is really that old it maybe even more valuable for resale if you don't want to keep it. What ever you don't want you could post on ebay and the trading floor on this forum and maybe even make your money back plus get some nice stuff to keep.

I once purchased a chest of fly tying materials. I wanted the chest.

Turns out there was an AP HMH vise with brass base in the chest. This made for a great gift for a friend. And there was a Price vise in the chest which also made for a nice gift. In addition to the vises was about $600 worth of unused materials with receipts. Not bad for a $150 chest. The chest (Gerstner) cleaned up pretty nice too.

So, I'd say go for it.

If you're worried, take a photo or two (if you can) and post here.

I recently received a $100 worth of material. It all came in one small box that would hold an average sized spinning reel. If it is not bug infested jump on it.

Just judging from the amount of stuff I've accumulated over the years, I'd say you probably are looking at a great bargan. As far as old material, I still have a couple of capes from MANY years ago.

They seem to have aged better than I did, and are still very usable. And, as said, if there are tools in there, all the better.

Get it before it goes. Never pass up a deal like that. If you don't want it, PM me and let me know where it is and I'll buy it sight unseen. I once bought a box of fly fishing book at a garage sale one for $25 and one of the books was worth $400.00