Fly Tying
COMike

My first two flys EVER! Critiques????

Wow Utyer,

Thanks for the excellent post! I will be certain to start tying in the smaller sizes as I really want to fish small streams and beaver pond areas that are seldom (if ever) accessed by anyone except the occasional hiker or 4 wheeler.

I will be starting casting classes in May and my Rod should be back by then from the Healing Waters folks (all 8 of us were entered into a rod building competition). It is a 9' 5wt 4 piece that was a joy to build! My wife got me a 7' 6" Orvis 3wt 4 piece at our local fly shop. I really liked it and the folks at the shop spent TONS of time with me on their casting pond to find something that would not break the bank and be useful in the small stream areas in the mountains I plan on fishing.

When I get some smaller hooks I will be sure to tie them as small as I can!

Another thumbs up for the Craven book. I've been tying for about a dozen years now and every now and then the book comes out and gets referenced. It's also a nice one to show others that may be interested when they see what you are producing. The Peak vise is great. When I got mine I didn't know if I would like it but after a month it is my go to vise.

I will have to look into the Craven book....I am LOVING the Peak vise thus far!!!!

Our Healing Waters class was loaned Crown vises....I think they are fine but the Peak Vise really helps me because of it's small form factor and its REALLY robust pedestal. Just tied up 10 San Juan worms and did five with the crown and five with the Peak. To me the Peak was just easier to tie on....Perhaps because it is less bulky ... not certain.

I won't go fishing without a Zebra! Great fly to start with. I'm partial to the beadhead version, but they are both great. Tight lines!

Preach

Thanks Preach!

I haven't figured out just what beads to get but I do have some glass ones that I used to use in Bass Fishing years ago. I might try to put one of them on and see how she looks!

It's nice to hear about what PHW is doing. I'm a supporter and when I hear about them in this and other forums it motivates me to tell other people about them. I mean telling people who are not into fly fishing and generally don't know about PHW..

both flies are clean, and look great. I imagine you will only getting better as you continue. Nice job.

Great job! Way better than my first flies. You must be a natural.