Fly Tying
COMike

BE GENTLE! Feathers are delicate!

Thanks everyone....I am not good at reading sarcasm in threads yet but I will learn!

Mike thanks for responding to my PM and I am sorry for being so quick to jump the gun....my wife calls me a wise ass all the time so I think you and I would have a few laughs over a beer or soda!

The advice and links have been REALLY helpful! Thank you!

I was using just the very tip tops of the peacock and they are VERY fragile so I will try not using them on the next fly. I was using the herl to make a brassie yesterday but on the two I made the herl just broke apart. I like the idea of adding some thread to it as well.

On a lighter note, we tied up a couple of Wooly Buggers last night and that was my first "Real" feather experience. The marabou is pretty "fishy" looking stuff and it was easier to use than I thought it would be. The folks at the Healing Waters Tying class were VERY helpful and I learned a ton of different ways of tying the Wooly. I am starting to comprehend that there isn't "one" way to tie a fly....there are many ways and if one way doesn't work then try another!

Thanks again folks and I apologize for being abrupt....I was frustrated with the damn peacock herl.....

Mike :)

I am going to try some more woolly buggers now and see how they turn out.

Also not all herl is equal. I have some full eye feathers from a local bird and they can be difficult to snap deliberately! Other shop bought stuff snaps soon as breath on it. If you have to go with shop bought stuff try different brands until one stands out as better quality, one generally does.

Makes sense Piker!

I have read and re-read Fly Fishin' Jam's link to peninsula fly fishers and I just have to say...WHAT AN AMAZING ARTICLE!

I am going to practice in a little bit here and see if I can duplicate the results that were posted. My herl looked like a matted clump on my brassies and after reading this I am HOPING that this was my problem. (well at least one of many...LOL).....

You veteran tiers probably know this already but if you get a chance check out that article he linked to.....VERY good information!

Just to put an actual observation in here ... I've got some herl that came with a kit I got about a generation ago. It's still got SOME good strands in it, but most are rather weak. I don't know if that's from age, or they were fragile from the beginning. So, as Piker said, it's not all equal ... and you might just have some crappy herl.

Or the helium is wearing off. (I know my voice is getting deeper !)