Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

Filter Bottles and Gut Bugs

Agreed.....more than one solution is nice to have!

I still keep iodine tabs in all our vehicles...JUST IN CASE!

My Jeep is my back country friend....I have been stuck only a couple of times and was THANKFUL I took advice of fellow jeepers to have a "kit" that would keep me safe for a few days. From someone who has "been there, done that" I am grateful that I heeded the advice I was given.

Mikechell where are you going in Africa?

I spent MANY months throughout the continent and had some fun/not so fun experiences there......let me know where you are going and I might be able to put you in touch with some of my friends there that I still keep in touch with!

Mike :)

Kudu ... I will be going for my job. Going to the West Coast, near where the Ebola outbreaks have occurred. I'll be taking extra precautions with everything I touch, eat or drink.

Mike ... I'll be in Monrovia, Liberia. teaching classes for two weeks.

Are you packing a rod?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha AM I PACKING A ROD ???

Oh, you mean a fishing rod. Why, yes I am. I've already inquired about the legality of fishing there. I've been told the local equivalent of DNR is still debating that very question. But I've also been told I might be able to fish on the base property, so I'm hopeful. I'd like to say, "I caught this is Africa" ... and not be talking about some disease.

damn lucky you only spent one night on the thunderbucket. Had a good friend get Giardia lamblia and he literally was incapacitated for over a week before a doc got him the right chemicals to kill the beasties.

If I'm going to be out long enough to really worry about hydration I carry a 100oz Camelbak, I have a couple of "Mule" Camelbaks which have enough room for all my gear plus the water. If I'm out for just a little while, I make sure I'm hydrated well before and carry a bottle. It's a fine balance in cold weather kayak fishing... really unpleasant to be well hydrated and have to pee while wearing waders and a belt under a goretex jacket and PFD, out in the middle of a lake.

If you're carrying so much shite on a day's fishing that you can't also carry sufficient water, you're carrying too much shite.

I have purification straws, bottles, and a pump-type Katadyn filter system for emergencies, but my experience, like Mike's, is to really only trust chemical warfare agents against the nasties.

The steri-pen is interesting, but it's another thing in which batteries will die, only when you really need them to live.

Mike

Good luck. I did take flagyl, sulfa drug and cipro and left it there for them it was much appreciated. I took malarone as a malaria prophylaxis. In your case I would be worried about the water.

Never heard about that. Sounds like a great product. Certainly easier to carry.

Thanks for the tip.

steve

The steri-pen is interesting, but it's another thing in which batteries will die, only when you really need them to live.

That is why I carry a spare new pkg of CR123 batteries.

CR123A_Lithium_battery.JPG

Always carry spares, of course. I'm always thinking "worst case" scenarios. My wife tells me I don't need to do that anymore since I'm 5 years out of active duty....

I've seen everything imaginable which uses batteries, fail at one point or another. Usually at a very inopportune time. Used and use CR123s in a wide range of equipment, and they are usually very good. Like all Lithium bats, when they die, they die fast- little warning.

I, personally, would not go on an expedition to a , well ANYWHERE with questionable water without some sort of non-electronic backup water treatment.

In fact, I am hoping to not ever be going on anymore of those kinds of expeditions.