Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Glass glass glass again

And yet another glass rod out of the shop today. This one going to a female new fly fisher which is always good to see women getting into the sport. Rosewood seat, big flake brown burl grip, rust thread (no CP) and traditional double foot guides.

yybj.jpg

drsd.jpg

6p8p.jpg

f1iy.jpg

b5rj.jpg

Classic!

I have to ask ... I could probably go back through previous posts and find it, but I am lazy this way.

What is CP, that you're NOT using? I am assuming it's contrasting wraps to highlight the main wraps, but I am not sure.

CP= Color preserver. It's a liquid that you brush on the thread wraps and let dry before you apply finish. It makes the thread retain its color and look more opaque. When you don't use it then the wraps become more transparent looking and blend more.

While in the asking mode...

Are all the blanks that rich brown? One of the earlier pictures had a distinctly more yellow cast. I prefer the brown as it is very much like an early Heddon rod I recently donated to Healing Waters. The no CD look works for metoo.

Rocco

That is a fine looking rod. Great grip and the wraps almost disappear into the blank itself. I am not into flashy and much prefer understated. That is my kinda rod. IMO glass is the place for a freshwater fisherperson to start. They will withstand more abuse and mis-handling than the graphites.

While in the asking mode...

Are all the blanks that rich brown? One of the earlier pictures had a distinctly more yellow cast. I prefer the brown as it is very much like an early Heddon rod I recently donated to Healing Waters. The no CD look works for metoo.

Rocco

Yep they are the brownish/orange color Dennis. The yellow one from early was more or less a sample blank of another line I am trying to get into stock soon if all goes well.

Steeldrifter,

You may have covered this elsewhere, and if so, I appologize for bringing it up again, but what are the advantages of glass over graphite and graphite over glass?

Thanks,

steve

btw, the rods are beautiful.

Basically glass is much more moderate action and more relaxing to cast, as well as can present a dry fly softer on the surface of the water. Graphite normally has a faster action than glass which equals higher line speed for shooting line farther as well as cutting through the wind better. So glass excels in shorter distance for soft presentations. Graphite excels over glass on longer distances cutting the wind and casting larger/heavier flies. That's the short version of it.

Basically glass is much more moderate action and more relaxing to cast, as well as can present a dry fly softer on the surface of the water. Graphite normally has a faster action than glass which equals higher line speed for shooting line farther as well as cutting through the wind better. So glass excels in shorter distance for soft presentations. Graphite excels over glass on longer distances cutting the wind and casting larger/heavier flies. That's the short version of it.

That's what I needed.

Thanks,

s.

SPM.....I also believe that glass will withstand much more handling abuse than graphite. Beadhead flies have become quite popular in the last several years and if one accidentally ticks the rod while casting a graphite rod becomes suceptable to catastrophic failure at that small nick in the future. Glass will generally live thru such small damage. Glass will also most generally withstand more high sticking a heavy fish than will graphite. IMHO this is a good reason for a young and or beginning fly rodder to start with glass. I also believe that glass is a little easier on us old folks joints, tendons, and muscles if one is doing a lot of blind casting. For site casting it makes little difference.

SPM.....I also believe that glass will withstand much more handling abuse than graphite. Beadhead flies have become quite popular in the last several years and if one accidentally ticks the rod while casting a graphite rod becomes suceptable to catastrophic failure at that small nick in the future. Glass will generally live thru such small damage. Glass will also most generally withstand more high sticking a heavy fish than will graphite. IMHO this is a good reason for a young and or beginning fly rodder to start with glass. I also believe that glass is a little easier on us old folks joints, tendons, and muscles if one is doing a lot of blind casting. For site casting it makes little difference.

ditz2,

Good thouights. Beadheads ticking the rod? You must have been watching me the last time I was on the stream ...every time, for that matter.

My father gave me my first fly rod, when I was a kid, and it is glass (Yes, I still have it). That's probably how most of us received our first fly rod. Over the years, I have moved into graphite, again as many probably have. This discussion makes me want to get that old rod out and see if it still knows how to catch fish.

I've been wanting a 3wt rod lately. Maybe a glass rod would be a good idea for that.

And yes, "Old folks, joints, tendons, and muscles" are involved with me, as well.

BTW, I also have my father's split bamboo rod from the 30s. And it does still know how to catch fish.

Thanks again for the thoughts,

steve