Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
add147

Making Progress on Tying Bench - Take 2

Thanks everyone for their encouraging words on my tying bench! I am by no means a professional wood worker but I do know how to use a tape measure, square, router, and a table saw. I used scape wood from when I made a study desk back during the fall for my son. The only wood I purchased was the 3/4" x 3 1/2" oak that I used for the rails. I stained it with a color called Gun Stock. It has a reddish tint to it which I think it brings out the wood grain. I stained the top drawers yellow and the bottom drawers with a green. I have applied one coat of a high gloss finish. I will steel wool it and probably do two more coats and then I will be all set. I found some shallow plastic office drawer organizers that I may place underneath the bench to store sharpies and other items when I try my hand at tying some foam. Over all I am very well pleased with my creation!!!! Feel free to give me your opinions....

post-52478-0-43156000-1398737262_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-05553800-1398737345_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-26424900-1398737399_thumb.jpg

post-52478-0-88948000-1398737497_thumb.jpg

That looks very nice!

I am still tying on my plywood desk downstairs but in the future I will be making something similar to yours!

One thing I am considering is putting a hole in the desk so that I can swipe scraps into. Some scraps I keep for my "mega scrap dubbing" that I will attempt in the future.

Mikechell....didn't I see you make a bench with a hole in it AND an attachment for a shopvac?

Mike :)

I've got the hole with a trash can under it. Someone else did the shop-vac setup, which was kind of neat, too.

Cool.....I REALLY like the idea of having the hole for pushing trash into. It makes it that much neater in my opinion. I don't think I would use the shopvac attachment but for someone that needs it, it is a nice addition if someone were building a new bench.

I have small shallow stainless steel bowls that I will probably place inside a hole to be used for a trash can. However I do like that idea of using a shop vac!

I like the hole idea. The shop vac might create too much noise where you are working but would make QUICK work of all the wire/spent herls/dubbing that lays around.

Personally I think I will just make a hole. Removable from the top of the desk. It will take a bit for me to get used to it but I feel it will work and keep my wife happy (that is unless I vacuum the room every session ... LOL )

Here's my table. I like the hole, but I had to make it with a lid to keep the cats out.

If you make the hole, make it so the catch bowl, or waste can is below.

If you make it so a bowl or something sits into it, and is raised above the table's surface, you can't just "wipe" the refuse into it.

I cut the piece to fit the hole in the desk top. I have a plastic strip (cut from a plastic storage drum) that is 3/8" thick nailed inside the hole. The lid is routered to fit the plastic "stop" and it sits down on top of that.

So there's nothing to keep stuff from being swept into it when open, and the lid is flush with the table top when closed.

The table top is a piece of scrap pressed wood with a laminate skin. It's kind of an experiment and I'll probably make a better top sometime in the future. But so far, I do like the trash receptacle and lid.