Fly Tying
barrytheguide

CAE Engineering Vise

I know that the CAE engineering vise is

A close copy of the LAW vise , bit my question is " is it a quality product and how much is it".

Of course I would like to try a LAW vise, but since they are no longer available and the price of used ones is nothing short of stupid I see nothing wrong with anyone coming up with a alternative.

There are other quality vises on the market, but I don't want to pay a couple of thousand for one. I like the looks of the Jvise, but I also like the looks of the CAE product. I would love to hear from someone who has one or has used one with maybe a photo or two

Thanks

Bazzer

A friend has one. I will see if I can put you in touch with him. Will PM you.

Cheers,

C.

I've had one for a few years and love it. Tied thousands of flies on it and no problem. Once had to get a joint adjusted, it was Charlie's original design which he's now changed. Fantastic service, no charge and a good bloke to deal with!

In answer to your question yes its a quality product, you'll have to contact Charlie for prices!

I can't afford a LAW. My CAE allows me to get the jaws at any angle without anything behind my left hand. The angle of the jaws to the long axis allows this. Most vises have the jaws set at right angle to the supporting rod, which doesn't allow for angling so theres nothing behind the hook.

Ive just got a Cottarelli Traveller for tying on trips, it's similar in allowing any hook position, but the jaws are very different.

Hope that helps,

Simon

Pics of Cottarelli jaws and CAE with size 32 Tiemco hook

post-33535-0-49882900-1398841581_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-12441900-1398841702_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-69069200-1398842077_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-20687300-1398842104_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-09803300-1398842124_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-28756500-1398842144_thumb.jpgpost-33535-0-81618700-1398841639_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-17296100-1398841351_thumb.jpg

Joe , thanks I already had read that thread. To be honest is smells a bit like troll to me. Of course I would like a LAW but they are not available and the design has not been passed to others to manufacture which is a great pity

Bazzer

Did you get my PM Barry? You need to talk with Wes. Or if you know Johan Put he also had one.

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig, thanks I got your pm. I'm on my phone at the moment and I can't seem to reply to pm's. I sent a message to Wes but no reply as yet. That is quite a setup he has. More stuff than most fly shops !

It certainly is. Makes me glad I don't have the collecting gene. You should see the collection he has just acquired.

He will advise you better than my 2nd hand knowledge

Cheers,

C..