Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlySlinger

FlySlingers Musky Fly I hope it works I am having second thoughts

DSCF0620.jpg

Second thoughts

I Tied this Musky Fly And I going to re tye it Using Stronger wire Probably Using about 200lb test and bigger spinners but I think this will 1 or 2 Musk the Fly is tied well but I think it will hold up if the spinner wire holds up we will see, but iwill bet you guys that this Catches fish

Talk to you later

FlySlinger

I use spinning blades quite often on my musky flies. They will catch you flack from the "purists" but they certainly work. I would use it.

As a hint... use some material like bucktail in the body to create more bulk!

I make all my own spinners and do a lot of wire-work in the process. For my big stuff I use 124lb stainless leader wire and form a round eye with 1-1/2 locking turns at the tie-in (or really the swivel) connection. It's plenty stout, and still easy enough to form with standard pliers. Never had one fail.

Why make an open-able loop at the tie-in? That's just begging to fail. Use your round-jaw pliers to form a regular closed loop.

200lb wire? Why? It's like putting a $100 W-Lock on a half-rotten wood door... It's not adding anything unless the rest of your tackle can withstand 200 lbs of force,

What about clevises for your spinner blades? That's new to me, using a blade without a clevis.

What kind of fly rod are you casting that thing with? The bunny strip alone is going to weigh 2 ounces when soaked. I'd gladly fish it, but not on a fly rod.