Fly Tying
psychoprince

Western Branch Ausable River

Me and my brothers are heading to the Western Branch of the Ausable on May 22nd. We will be staying at the Wilmington notch campgrounds. I have checked the hatches and know all of the standard recommendations, but I wanted to see if anyone could give me some local insight for this time of year. I want to hit the ground running so if anyone knows a go to fly for this area let me know!

stop into the Ausable river two fly shop in wilmington just down the road and talk to Tom he will give you good advise..Very Very nice guy and will help you out tremendously

Good luck with the two fly. I have heard its a good time. Maybe I will give the two fly shop a call. I wanted to tie up a few flies for the trip so I didnt have to lug my tying gear up there with me.

I'll be there on the 23-25. Wading or floating?

Hendricksons for sure. I'd tie both light and dark this far in advance. Also, a killer fly to churn up big fish midday is the extended, yarn body stone fly parachute.

"Yarnie" Stonefly

Hook: 2xl Dry Fly

Tail: dark hackle fibers or moose mane

Post: white craft foam or grizzly and ginger hackle tips. (i like post for my old eyes)

Hackle: Tied as parachute - wraps of grizzly and brown or ginger

Body: Yarn with extended body twist.

Making yarn body:

Tie in post and hackle for parachute.

Work thread down, tie in tail and wrap thread back to post.

tie in yarn, on top of hook, just behind post.

Run thread over yarn to barb. twist the yarn tight (until it curls up when there is no tension on it)

Let yarn curl to from extended body and secure that twist to hook.

Work thread to base of post.

Wrap yarn forward, figure 8 over post to form head, then work yarn from head to front of post.

While hiding yarn upward after last head wrap -- use thread to secure yarn to post -- making a nice sturdy post to wind hackle around.

Hackle -- and whip finish around post.

-- very effective fly I've seen churn up quality fish on the Ausable.

This is not my pattern and the credit should be given to guide "Jamie Clous" -- out of the Old Ausable Fly Shop.

post-47768-0-20555800-1399400460_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Mostly wading. Im going with a few spin fisherman and we are bringing a few canoes. So we will be mixing it up a little bit. Thanks for the advice!

I added that pattern to the original post for you.

If you are wading and not floating, here is a wet fly pattern I use for hendricksons.

The F'ing Gray Thing

Thread: Olive/Tan

Hook: Mustad 3906B 12 & 14

Tail: Wood duck

Body: Hare's ear dubbing

Hackle: Dun -- stripped and palmered

Wing: Wood Duck

Basically made these as an all purpose fly (for silhouette) and was having a great night on them during a hendrickson hatch. My buddy kept yelling down the river, "what fly are they on?"

I had no name for the fly so I yelled, "Some F'ing gray thing"

The name stuck.

If you haven't fished wet flies before -- just tie on, cast a few feet above and to the side of rising fish, then swing across their nose and hold on. No need for hook set, they do it all by themselves.

post-47768-0-70962700-1399401128_thumb.jpg

thanks ..The twofly is a good time...If you contact two fly shop talk with Tom, like I said he is a good guy , his inspiration was The Late and Great Fran Betters.

Hope your conditions are better than what we ahd this wekend..friday water was fishable but I go tup there late...poured all night friday into sat morning river went from 2000 cfs to i think they said 14000.....high and muddy..still fished but nothing on my line

Good luck this weekend when you go up

Wilmington Notch Campgrounds..... that's NY correct? 'That' Ausable! The Au Sable that I know more of is in Michigan. I mention this as I know a Jamie Clous as a guide I thought working out of the Old Au Sable Fly Shop in Grayling.

A 'West" branch of the Au Sable River in Michigan didn't 'ring a bell'.

BCT

BCT - I thought he meant Au Sable in MI. Small world, I fished with Jamie Clous just before the holiday weekend. Always a good time even when the river is high and no fish rising.