Fly Tying
spm

Flies for smallmouth bass

I am fishing Sugar Creek in Indiana next week. What would be the top flies for smallmouth bass in a stream?

So far I have:

Crayfish

Clouser Minnow

Wooly Bugger

Other ideas?

Thanks,

spm

Dahlberg divers, decievers, seaducers, marabou leeches, foam poppers and hoppers, and heard hares ear nymphs and pheasant tail nymphs work well too.

I assume these same flies would also work for the large mouth bass as well! Not many small mouth bass in East Texas but there's a slew of large mouth bass...

Yes, also lots of streamers, do a google search for streamers and you'll get a slew of patterns!

Guest rich mc

a friend fished it years ago and they only hit small poppers in black rich mc

I live in Vermilion county Illinois. How close is the Sugar creek from me? I would use Clousers and topwater if they are working surface. Good luck!

Coinman66, you live 1/2 hour to 2 hours away, depending on where on the river you fish. It dumps into the Walbash just north of US36.

I've caught them on clousers, crawdad, poppers, Murdich minnow and worm flies. Bring both light and dark colors. They will hit most anything. Just get as far from a public access as possible.

I live in Vermilion county Illinois. How close is the Sugar creek from me? I would use Clousers and topwater if they are working surface. Good luck!

Crawfordsville, IN. is where we meet the guide. The outfitter I'm using is Wildcat Creek Outfitters.

s.

They are excellent and will have plenty of their favorite flies for you to use. Most importantly, they will get you to the fish.

Sugar Creek is a nice little stream and you should enjoy your time on the water. Fish or no fish.....3/8" poppers, crayfish, baitfish,....I would take some blind squirrels for small crayfish and nymphs or bugs. Most of Sugar is not real deep so a lot of weight is not warranted assuming normal levels. Clousers with medium and large bead chain eyes should be good and in bait fish colors and crayfish colors should cover both imitations. Poppers in black and yellow. Some unweighted streamers would also be good and always have some Muddlers on hand. I have never fished this creek but I have floated it in a canoe. Nice water. Be sure and give us a report.

They are excellent and will have plenty of their favorite flies for you to use. Most importantly, they will get you to the fish.

Yeah, I know they will supply the flies and appreciate your recommendation of them. With my tendancy to over-pack and over-think everything (Probably a character flaw), I thought I would take some of my own.

Thanks,

steve

You have good selections. I would only add a top water, perhaps a popper. I think between the clouser and crayfish you'll do 90% of your work. My simple and highly effective smallmouth routine (well, same for largemouth as well) is one pattern each for top, middle, bottom in the water column. My top is a cicada or popper, mid is ck baitfish or clouser, bottom is crayfish.