Fly Tying
Gary Madore

My First Fly!!!!

Well, it ain't pretty and it wasn't complicated but I managed to tie it on the first try (after 15 minutes of practicing starting thread and whip finishing.)

It's an "E-Z Nymph" done on a size 10 with a peacock feather and really fine black thread.

user posted image

After a thousand-or-so more of these I may try a more complicated pattern.

Wish me luck!

(observations and critiques eagerly solicited)

Gary

Thanks for the down-size OSD. I didn't know we could upload to this forum's server. Anyway, let's hope I'm as thrilled with my first rod project as I am with this fly (grin)

Thanks for the kind comment mgj.

Gotta go: Gonna try another one.

Cheers!

Gary

Good job!.....and a very versatile pattern. That puppy will catch trout, pan fish, steelhead, you name it.

Keep um coming,

Charlie

That's fantastic work especially for a first fly! It was only about a month ago that FTF member Skunked tyed his first fly and I'm constantly amazed at the fly's he's been posting recently, even coming up with his own creations. My only advise is to have fun tying and make it as enjoyable as possible, even if it means taking a break when frustration occurs.

Take care, Graham

If you want some more variety in the same type, check out the Shwapf, FAOL or Teeny nymph, they both are a simple fly that you can have some leeway with.

Nice first fly Gary congrats. Now you have the tying bug. could be habit forming LOL laugh.gif Tightlines MIKE

Chewable fly !

From now on, you'll catch fish with your own flies, believe me, it's a plus smile.gif

Simple flies are usually very efficient specially with peacock herl. Welcome in the world of flytying.

If there is a Flytying club in your area, go and see the guys, they will be happy to pass their know-how.

great job headbang.gif It's VERY addicting isn't it biggrin.gif

It was only about a month ago that FTF member Skunked tyed his first fly and I'm constantly amazed at the fly's he's been posting recently, even coming up with his own creations.

You'll be amazed at what you can pick up from the gentlemen on this forum. This place has to be the greatest source of tying info on the internet. Don't be shy about asking questions here, no question is a dumb question, and practice, practice, practice. You're only limited by your imagination. Also, check this site out. I'm new to this too and it's got the best advice I can share with you right now. Have fun biggrin.gif