Fly Tying
Gary Madore

My First Fly!!!!

Great looking fly!!!! I remember when I wanted to get into fly tying and I only wanted to tie a couple of different flies. Well, 7 years and $2000 later I am a fly tying addict. It will bite you too so be careful. All of a sudden BAMMMMM it strikes with an undescribable force. You can not seek counseling becuase they do not understand you can only talk with others that have been bitten too. Your wife, if married, will be no help. Your parents will not be useful. You might loose a few friends. But you will enjoy, with frustration, every fly you tie and catch a fish with it. This board is full of helpful people, WHO UNDERSTAND, and will not hesitate to answer any questions you might have.

Keep tying

Dripster

I don't know if you realize how good that fly is. Well-tied flies have a certain quality about them, a certain fish appeal, that others lack. Your fly has it: an excellent tapered body, a wing that looks alive, a well-formed head, excellent proportions. Great job! Keep on tying...

QUOTE (jbenenson @ Feb 2 2005, 11:05 AM)
I don't know if you realize how good that fly is.  Well-tied flies have a certain quality about them, a certain fish appeal, that others lack.  Your fly has it: an excellent tapered body, a wing that looks alive, a well-formed head, excellent proportions.  Great job!  Keep on tying...

I agree with jbenenson's assessment.

Excellent first fly and a great pattern to start with.

My husband still fishes some of the first flies that I tied and still catches fish on them. All flies are fishable!

Excellent first fly thumbsup.gif I still take my first fly out when I need a good laugh laugh.gif

Ken cool.gif

Good tie!

The thread head looks good. I also noticed you said that you have tied a bunch of these, and of course practice makes perfect. If you have that need to get one just right you'll find that paying off with better and better flies.

Wow, gang: Thanks for all the kind words.

When I "eagerly solicited" comments and/or critiques I wanted y'all to tell me what I had done wrong so I could improve upon it.

You're quite right jbenenson: I have NO idea. (I'll be happy to take your word for it, though!)

Alrighty then: It's back to the bench for me! I think I'll work on the do-it-all "SHWAPF" tonight.

Cheers!

Gary

P.S. I showed it (the picture) to a couple of guys at work today. They said it looked like someone had stuck a hook through their penis. I retorted that it was either a really, REALLY big hook, or (insert coworker's name here) penis. heh heh Uh, guess you had to be there.....