Fly Tying

These might be a bit $ but costa does amazing lenses, i smashed a pair of 580g gamefishing, sent them back for warranty return which took a week and now they seem brand new. Also really like smith optics, great lenses and polarization, have a new one out called 'chromapop' not entirely sure about it but yeah smith is v. Good. I kinda like a good warranty, another pair of costas the rubber bits fell off, and they fixed those too. Pretty sure u can also get away with some cheapies.

Well I am stuck with prescription glasses, so I either use Polarized glasses. Down here, the RCI (Right Coast Independent) Optics have quite a following, but they are pricey. Action Optics was what I always wore before getting prescription glasses. I now have a cheap wraparound frame from Wall Mart that I put prescription lenses into. The lenses cost three times what the frames did, but they are UV coated, and polarized.

Action Optics start under $60.00 and there are dozens of styles under $100.00.

I have a pair of polarized Ray-Bans that I bought and was disappointed with when I realized they weren't anti-reflection coated on the INSIDE of the lenses... lots of glare.

My favorites are currently a pair of Smith Action Optics in brown tint. I'm going to spring for a nice pair of Maui Jims next time. I recently almost purchased a pair of Orvis polarized glasses with the built-in magnifiers on the bottom, but instead, sprung for a set of Hat Eyes. They work great for aging eyes, when even a set of normal "cheaters" from the drug store don't help enough for tying small flies to tiny tippet.

Tight lines,

Bob

I'm in need also. They must be prescription lenses, and I would like wrap arounds. I dare not even look at getting a new pair just now. 10 years ago I was quoted just over £450 for some. I dread to think how much they will be now. I'll manage with cheap clip ons for now, and hope for a large windfall! It was bad enough having to pay £96 for tying glasses last year. Natures 50th birthday present to me... failing eye sight.

Cheers,

C.

I purchased a pair of no-line, polarized, prescription sunglasses with titanium flames for about $170 from Zenni Optical. I've never owned the popular brands, so I can't compare.

I think the "Strike King" polarized glasses at Walmart are up to 14 bucks a pair. They work great, but only for about half a season before they start getting a little cloudy. But at $14.00 a pop, you can buy a new pair every 6 months for the next 5 years and still not spend as much as one pair of expensive glasses.

Oh, and when you drop a $14.00 pair of glasses in 20 feet of coffee colored water ... you just say, "OH well." and forget about it. You won't have quite the same reaction when a $400.00 pair goes for a swim !!!

I'll second the Strike King glasses Mike. I no longer need prescription for distance vision but still need a correction for reading (knot tying). I bought a pair of stick on magnifiers that work just fine. I cut them very small, just for knot tying. They aren't even noticed when fishing or driving. I keep my glasses in an old Costas box when I am not wearing them. I've worn glasses for 60 years so I know how to protect mine

I have to wear prescription glasses also. They're no line tri-focals with transition lenses but not polarized. I use Cocoons with them, They're reasonably priced around $50. I have three pairs of them, yellow, amber and gray. They fit over my glasses snugly. I use a lanyard on my regular glasses but not on the sun glasses. They do have side inserts the same color as the lenses. What I did with them is blacked them out with some model paint which eliminated the side glare.

I have prescr glasses. I use Cocoons in an amber shade, but my primary glasses are Fitovers (fitovers.com). I think they're in the $45 range. Love them.

I usually use two pair, polarized brown tint for bright times of the day, and Amber tint for morning and evening, plus on overcast days that aren't very bright. Berkeley glasses work great and at under 20 bucks if they break( like when a huge catfish spits your buddy's hook and a 2 ounce weight hits you in the face!) they are very easy to replace! Also the amber lenses can be used all the time, but it starts to hurt your eyes because it captures the maximum amount of light and amplifies it, which is why they are good for low light conditions, so be careful if you wear them all day.

I went through one pair after another of cheap sunglasses, and they all worked okay. When my eyes finally got to the point where I needed magnification to tie on a fly, I sprang for a pair of Costa "C-Mates" with the bifocal on the bottom half, and I can tell you with confidence that I'll be wearing Costas for the rest of my fishing life. Great glasses. Check sierratradingpost.com, they usually have all different kinds of high end sunglasses at a pretty good discount.