Fly Tying
Dripster

Do you name your flies??

thats why you use "varient"

whether its pulled back hair or clipped hair the style of fly is basically the same. a "varient"

the flies you show above are just "varients" of the tuttle devil bug

I started reading the post and was preparing a reply for it, when I found I had already replied...back in 2005. Since that was awhile ago, I'll reply again. I do name some of my flies, if I'm pretty sure they're original, but not after myself. Nobody's ever heard of me in the fly tying world. If I do a variation of a pattern I always try to give credit to the person who originated the pattern. My favorite all time name for a pattern is Fran Betters the "Usual" If you're fishing it, and someone asks what you're using, especially if they're not familiar with the pattern or a newbie, your answer will drive them nuts.

flytire, all the flies a have ever tied are varients..i can ty 10 maneeyaks and no two will be alike..i have just tyed 10 varients..maybe i should call them Maneeyak V1, Maneeyak V2, etc. to keep the purists happy...nah!

LOL..i thought we agreed all flies were a varient..so why call your fly a varient of whatever if whatever is a varient of another varient..just name your fly..as Lefty said it,s all BS in fly tying..lol.

Im a warm water guy...Used to be a trout fanitic...Even back then I didnt care about patterns are being true to the pattern.

If it catches fish it works for me

Now days everything is like Bream crack, Bass crack. Killer, Lilly Pad Assassin etc

Dont matter they are just varients of someone elses flies and they work.

Denduke, i guess your asking about durability and i have no answer because i never fished them but the moose hair is much tougher than whitetail, i have not yet cut through moose hair with the thread when flaring it and i use 6 to 10# fireline and lots more pressure than on deer hair..the pullbacks are much quicker to build than clipped bugs too..i just tied these up to see what they look like not use..i know that sounds weird but that,s just me.. i forgot to mention that i brushed on a light coating of super glue on some of the pullbacks and i,m sure that toughened them some..

Correct me but pulling deer hair back is ancient; i.e. before the old timers figured out how stack and pack deer hair. Those pattern pics look old too. Interesting you "going back in time."

My tied down deerhair on my cdads get fussed up pretty quick with teeth of stream trout. Need resin or sumthin... the long moose mane would do great cuz the hair is antenna, top of head, and forms da tail. The head gets gnarled pretty quick....

crawdads.jpg.

Hi Denduke, maybe i,m ancient too..lol..i was just wanting to see how big a pullback could be made compared regular deer hair..as you can see there is a big difference..for fishing i much prefer the clipped hair bugs but tied with moose hair because it stays very crunchy no matter how soggy it gets..i think this crunchy feel is what keeps the bass holding on longer and i need more time anymore to figure what,s going on..lol. regular deer hair turns into a soft mushy clump in a short while..actually i blend in some dyed deer hair with the moose(about 25%) to give it a little peppery look and save on moose hair but the bug still stays crunchy..i can feel the crunch when squeezing out the water..it never gets mushy..as for durability, i don,t care, i don,t sell, and i can just ty another one or more..

Hey guys, I thought I would mention that the correct spelling is "variAnt" and not "variEnt."

Blame my english teacher who told me that there were consequences for misspellings.

animals-fishing-fisherman-carps-carp_fisFunny-advertising-fail.jpg

Of course I name my flies. They deserve a name. I've always been s stickler for using the exact materials for established patterns but when I substitute more than one material, I make it my own and name it. I don't care what anyone thinks. Ima do what I want yo. I usually give my flies misleading names. For example, my Deadly Giant Mondo Bug (or DGMB) isn't a bug, it's an Isopod, and it's tiny, not gigantic.

I often experience the grief and loss of an errant fly venturing into a scraggly limb out stretched over a pool or that sanctimonious rhododendron infringing on my back cast zone. So I like to keep it non-personal. I do not name my flies. When I create them, I don't want to think about their tortured futures, hook shanks stretched and broken, hackle gnarly and even, God forbid lost like Jonah in the belly of a fish. (OK Jonah was in the belly of a marine mammal) I don't want to get too attached and sentimental with my flies should I lose them.

Im going to name the next fly I design TBD. That way it will look like everyone just signing up for a swap is tying my fly 😁