Fly Tying

Spent the last few days up at my cabin on the Au Sable as I usually do fishing along various places on the river for trout, smallmouth & pike. The trout were not all that active this trip but the recent warm up had the smallmouth up and active and managed to bring a few to net on streamers. Headed back up in less than two weeks for a trout trip fishing in Grayling and Mio, then back home for a few weeks till July when I head up for my annual 16 day trip. Going to be a good summer.

tgrz.jpg

u9woo.jpg

j569.jpg

1uff.jpg

h3iq.jpg

zwlx.jpg

3gv8z.jpg

lldl.jpg

3ugk.jpg

l7m2.jpg

1cbb.jpg

Thanx for the pictures. I don't know what's prettier: the pictures of the beautiful lake, or those beautiful bass. I envy you!

Having trout, pike and smallmouth bass in the same river, that's fantastic. Do the trout live in just a certain part of the river or are they scattered throughout

Lance the upper sections are mostly trout, then the middle sections have both trout as well as bass & pike, then the lower sections are all warmwater and bass/pike/walleye/panfish. It's one of the things that I love about the Au Sable, you can get almost any species all in very close and sometimes the same sections of river.

Lance the upper sections are mostly trout, then the middle sections have both trout as well as bass & pike, then the lower sections are all warmwater and bass/pike/walleye/panfish. It's one of the things that I love about the Au Sable, you can get almost any species all in very close and sometimes the same sections of river.

That's great Steve, you are very fortunate to have a fishery like that, sounds like that river is like a box of chocolates lol. How do you choose which WT of rod to use, could make for some very interesting fights if you have a lightweight rod

In the upper sections I use mainly my 4/5wt for dries and nymphs on trout, then 7/8wt when I pull streamer for trout. Pretty much the same for the mid sections, although when a 3-5lb smallmouth hits on the 4/5wt it can be interesting to say the least. Then in the lower sections I use mainly the 7/8wt since it's mostly the larger bass & pike there.

Very nice, beautiful place.. Smallies like that are few and far between down here! (Well, I can't find 'em anyway...)

I'll be up around Grayling this coming weekend and a little into next week. I'm sure you're probably on the Ausable, but we'll be camping on the Upper Manistee not too far away. And there is always a day trip to Lovell's Bar & Grill and then we fish the North Branch. Not exactly sure where you'll be, but I'll keep an eye out for ya. I'd like to meet the guy that built me a 2wt...using that rod is the most fun I've had catching trout thus far.

Would like to meet up with ya but we won't be leaving till about 6am Monday morning. That way we'll miss the crowds on the weekend. Gonna stay at Gates Monday night then Mio Tuesday night.