Fly Tying

We'll I have bow fished and speared carp for 8 years now and wow they put up a fight. So I think ill take my fly fishing that way and not just shoot them all the time. I know it's really hard to fish carp with the fly and you have to be vary quite. That's all I know about fishing I'm from northern Michigan bestie river area what flies would you think would work best. Yes I can google carps flies and get 100000 different paterns but I'm trying to maybe get a few less that work and start with them first and any other tips on fishing them would be nice to know also. Thanks

I'm no expert on carp, but I have caught a few. I've had my best luck with weighted Woolly Buggers. I have also caught some on a crawdad imitation. They say you should fish for tailing (feeding) carp. In muddy water I would use dark colors and might ever lower myself to adding some scent. I caught this 25" one in a clear Indiana stream (rare for Indiana). I saw the carp swimming by and tossed a bright orange woolly bugger (looks like a goldfish) about 8 feet in front of her. I could not see the take, but I could certainly feel it.

post-37228-0-43201600-1401718325_thumb.jpg

I'm no carp expert either but have caught several on the long rod. I would also try some crawdad imitations and larger nymphs like a hares ear sz. 10

Small craw patterns seems to work well for me. I know a lot of people have adapted bonefish flies for carp. One being the Crazy Charlie. What is nice is that it rides hook up and you can do any color combination you like. Plus, its fairly fast and easy to tie.

Go to flycarpin.com and look at the flies from the yearly swaps, tie yourself up some of those.

If one can't find a carp catchin fly on Flycarpin.com he ain't never gonna catch one.

If one can't find a carp catchin fly on Flycarpin.com he ain't never gonna catch one.

I can't stop laughing! :D