Fly Tying
The osprey

Help needed!

Evening all! Last week I received some more fly tying stuff! Earlier on today I discovered some bugs which are whitey/grey in colour! I flung the stuff which seem to be infested away but put the rest in the freezer for now, I plan on freezing for 2 weeks the microwaving, is this the best way or is there a better way?

I have read that microwaving is a waste of time for getting rid of most bugs that infest our tying materials. Freezing is best, the colder the better. I have some stuff I am considering putting in my wife's -80 lab freezer. Should do the trick.

Steve

Do a search on here for a lot of info regarding the subject.

Chemical warfare is the only sure way.

Freezing, microwaving, homeopathic herbal witch-doctor bulls**t blah blah blah all leave doubt and uncertainty.

Just use paradichlorobenzene and be done with it.

If the material is easily, cheaply replaced I would do so. If I were in your shoes and wanted to keep the stuff I would:

1) Freeze it 1 week. (Should kill most of the vermin.) Thaw it 1 week. (This gives any viable eggs a chance to hatch.) Then freeze it again.

2) Clean it. (Remove as much bug carcasses, bug eggs and bug poop as possible.)

3) Then store each material in a Zip-Loc bag with a few crystals of para-dichlorobenzene. (Add fresh crystals every year or so.)

This may be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Never accept tying materials from unknown sources

That's the best way that's worked for me

I was offered a HUGE amount of material from a woman who's late husband had been a fly tyer.

It was like Xmas had come early - until I got home and found that there had been an infestation of moths.

Although from what I could see, they were all dead, I chucked probably 80% which filled 3 large black bin sacks just in case.

All my materials are in ziplock bags and then stored in heavy-duty plastic boxes and I NEVER add any material of unknown source until it's been in a zip-lock bag placed in a quarantine box for a couple of months.