Fly Tying

Does anyone use/like sheepskin fly wallets? I have one and have never really used it. Seems like it might bend the hackles. Opinions?

spm

Those sheepskin wallets were best suited to keeping streamers, and wet flies. Yes they will mash the hackles flat, and really mess up any fly kept in them.

Even though that type of fly wallet is still available, they're more of a throw-back to a time when all the molded plastic fly boxes we now have were not available. As Utyer has said, they mash the hackles, but that doesn't necessarily render the flies useless, as the hackles will "revive" when wet.

If you like nostalgia or the "classic" appearance of those wallets, then they can be serviceable. However, there are better choices for organizing & protecting flies.

I had one years ago, mainly just for the nostalgic aspect more than any other reason. I only kept feather wing streamers in it. It'll crush dry hackle. I dunno what ever happened to mine, haven't seen it in years now.

Great for show. Terrible in on-stream use. The wool held water and rusted flies after use or if the wallets got wet. Even airing them out after a dunking w/o removing the flies was asking for trouble.

Rocco

Kinda what I thought.

I bought mine because of nostalgia. Thought it looked cool; didn't like it on the stream.

Looks nice sitting on the shelf, though.

s.

They actually can work pretty well for intruder or articulated flies. The flies are held in place and don't flop around or get tangled. I still prefer other solutions though.

Yes...

FLYWALSSBIG-1-_zpsa1be84ee.jpg

...and it holds some stuff that is meant for the Browns, that like to play, at dusk and after dark...

PT/TB

I use one for feather winged streamers. Yes, it tends to flatten the fly, but it also drys it out nicely. I wouldn't consider using it for dry flies.