Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wschmitt3

Spinners. Opinions, comments & critique

Tied up some spinners. First attempt at this type of fly (I think).

I tied the grey bodied ones with dun rooster hackle tails and Montana fly company Z-Yarn wings.

The Rusty Brown Spinners have split micro-fibbet tails and parapost wing material for wings.

I think I like the z-yarn wings better and split tails are more realistic. The parapost wing material is to crinkly I think

post-52247-0-83273300-1403023054_thumb.jpg

both wings look equally crinkly to me but its the fishes opinion that matters the most. fish both of them and record the results

I suppose crinkly was the wrong term. The para post wings splay out more and don't lay flat. The z-yarn spread out on an even plane. I suppose its probably not that important. Being overly critical.

I hope you didn't tie those to be dry flies. In my experience, synthetic fibers don't float. Those flies will probably catch fish, but you'll be fishing them as sub-surface bugs.

I don't know anything about "spinners", so maybe they are supposed to be sub-surface ... in which case, you've got some good looking bugs there.

Mikechell, they are dry flies. The Spinner is an imitation of a mayfly that has completed its reproductive cycle and fallen to the surface of the water dead or nearly dead (not quite sure on that point). I have used waspi superfine dry fly dubbing and the parapost wing material on the rusty color is very buoyant. I use it for New Zealand style strike indicators I make my self. With a little drop of floatant applied it will suspend even my heaviest flies catch after catch for a whole day of fishing. The z-yarn may not float as well but with some dry fly floatant it should work pretty well. With that said I actually did not intend to use the z-yarn I grabbed the wrong material and tied those grey ones before I realized my mistake.

They look good to me! Spinners seem to catch a lot of fish..two things I've noticed to be beneficial...a) less is more on the wings (obviously you need enough to make it float - but the ones I skim on are the ones that consitently catch fish) B) I switched from z-yarn to DNA Fibers and haven't look back since

By less is more I'm guessing you mean less material not length.

By DNA Fibers do you mean Holo Fusion?

I prefer the parapost material wing, and I've been hooking really nice, large selective browns on the Au Sable and Pere Marquette Rivers with them for years. In fact, I just got a nice 16" brown about a week ago on a Gray Drake spinner. I do use a quill body rather than a dubbed body, though.

On the rare occasion when the parapost-wing version gets universally rejected, I will switch to a version with bundled hackle fiber wings. I much prefer the synthetic fiber wing (lightly dressed with floatant) because it seems much more durable in my experience.

Bryon,

Thanks for the comments.

Sadly I don't think I'll be hooking a 16" trout of any kind this summer, not on my home stream at least. The river got very very low and very warm at the end of last month due to a lack of rainfall and the nice rainbows from previous years stocking moved out to the Connecticut River for deeper cooler water. I'm still catching the stocked browns (10") from this year and native brookies up stream but not the 14-18" rainbows I was hooking at the end of April and early May.

-Will

flies look good. I second the comment around trying a quill body - the spinners tend to be thin and the quill body gives you a wonderfully slim profile. I'll try to post a few pictures this evening of some spinners I used this weekend to great results.