Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
outdoorsmanfool

good bass flies??

I don't know too much about bass flies.... so can someone tell me some good ones to tie? and if you got pictures as well that will work. going out on the lake all day this Saturday and i want to catch a bass on my fly rod. So any suggestions would help.

Thanks, Nick.

largemouth or smallmouth? or spotted, or striped?

Clouser Deep Minnow

Lefty's Deceiver

Deer hair bug of any type

Not really enough information to give any specific recommendations, but the three I mentioned will catch any bass, anywhere. Tie them in both light and dark colors.

Clouser minnow, wooly bugger, leftys deceiver, seaducer, Davy wottons shad , stealth bomber, foam poppers, and plenty of others, go to the warm water section and look around, you'll find a lot of great patterns.

Foam body poppers. You can use "bluegill sized" poppers and still catch large bass. I get 6 pound LMB sucking in bluegill poppers on a fairly regular basis. I rarely put "bass sized" poppers on, since they rarely catch sunfish. I'd rather spend all day catching sunfish and an occasional bass than to spend all day catching nothing hoping for one big fish. But I digress.

Early morning and all day near shady cover ... LMB will go after something noisy on the surface.

Go over to youtube and look up froggy fly, its a work in progress by William b Tedrick of texas. He slays the bass with them.

Go over to youtube and look up froggy fly, its a work in progress by William b Tedrick of texas. He slays the bass with them.

Wow, watched this today and not a moment to soon. Bought 12" x 18" sheets of foam at the store for $.89 each today. I know what I am doing this week. Thanks.

This morning early on at first light I released a large mouth bass, a yellow perch, and lost a pumkinseed all on a olive crystal bugger. I didn't even bother casting any other flies because I was doing

so well with a sparkley bugger. I also have some other flies tied for bass this summer. Muddler minnows,(conehead and original). Clouser minnows. Dave's hoppers. Black nosed dace. Conehead

crystal buggers. Crawdad patterns work well. Or a dark clouser fished along the bottom works well as a crawdad.

My top 5:

1. Clouser Minnows in Chartreuse/White

2. Woolly Bugger in Olive, Black, or Rust

3. Seaducers in White/Red or Olive/Black

4. Foam/Deerhair Poppers (be creative on colors)

5. E.P Fibre Sunfish

Bass aren't picky so don't be afraid to throw something ridiculous looking causes chances are they will eat it! Just my $0.02

I've made a few of his flies...Pretty simple to make and from the looks of them based on his other videos that do catch the fish....