Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Peter, it's gotten to the point that the good anglers keep their mouths shut everywhere these days.

I hear you - I don't trust anybody any more but me and you, and I have my doubts about you........ ;-) Damned internet makes it easy to get your spot burned. when I was doing fishing reports for Reel-Time, I kept them as vague as I reasonably could. "Bass along the RI beaches," that sort of thing. I always figured that the guys in the know would get it, and the others would at least know what to look for. IMO, paying your dues is part of the game. The beach runners up north use CB radios a lot, and they have all kinds of code words they employ to keep the mayhem to a minimum. ("Tigers are killing the swallows in Greenland")Let one word slip over the radio, and the beach looks like the start of a NASCAR race.

Those orange and tan crabs. Are those tied on circle hooks? Looks like they'd tend to "keel" over with the hook down.

I like the flies, just wondering about the choice of hook.

Thanks Captain.

Mike, they are circles. They seem ok atm... but i certainly wouldn't use any less weight (1/30 oz) or they would definitely ride hook point down.

I haven't tide crabs seriously before so I'm looking forward to trying these ones out on the weekend in particular.

I have also just finished this one. A 2/0 hoodlum... blue and dark brown colours. ...

Dusted off the Renzetti and tried out some new craft fur I recently picked up in white and chartreuse. Very long and silky stuff. I must get more colors soon. Also did a couple basic mullet since the fall run is in full swing.

post-44758-0-01782700-1414019988_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-79223300-1414020017_thumb.jpg

Black Magnus (Danish seatrout fly)

Hook:TMC 777sp str.8

Medium bead chain eyes

Tail: black marabou/Chicabou

Body:STF dubbing black

Body hackle and colar:Whiting Pro grade Black

post-40674-0-62070900-1414087721_thumb.jpg

Here are a few. The first one caught quite a variety including stripers, reds, and my personal best yellow perch of all things. Tried a variation with deer hair but i need to work on tightening that up. Couple of other baitfish patterns. Tried and true blue and white deceiver for albies if I get a chance. Not sure what the red one is for. Toothy critters I guess.

IMG_5883_zps055dc45e.jpg[/urlIMG_5889_zpsbcfeeb29.jpg[/urlIMG_5886_zpsd3063ee3.jpg[/urlIMG_5897_zps1b053a02.jpg[/url[url=http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/blackblueSUV/media/IMG_5885_zpsf5e554b8.jpg.html]IMG_5885_zpsf5e554b8.jpg[/url[url=http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/blackblueSUV/media/IMG_5893_zps5516ea65.jpg.html]IMG_5893_zps5516ea65.jpg

Nice Muddy! I like that buggy thing above the red one. What do you use it for?

Thanks. Last month I found some striped bass that thought they were bonefish in some real shallow water feeding on killifish I think. I guess any gurgler or surface pattern would have worked but I was trying to imitate a killi on the surface.

Sage....Basicly a variation of a schminnow which is a variation of the old Blossom.....More than one way to skin a cat.

Got into a seaducer mode recently. Most of mine are the natural tanish colors so I decided to brighten a few up. Really like the little blue eyed one. Just hope the fish do too. Also after being shunned by a few black drum last week I tied up some for them as well.

post-44758-0-29306100-1416592845_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-84077200-1416592863_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-44146500-1416592881_thumb.jpg