Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Beautiful crabs, they will get the job done. The bones will crush them

I thought he was tying shrimp? If those are shrimp patterns they look more like crab. either way , I really like the pallette of color chosen.

The power of suggestion got me motivated to tie up a few more natural shrimp colored seaducers. Also wanted to try a different weedless type I read about in an article from a 2000 Florida Sportsman. The article was missing the photo so I improvised. These have a double prong pointing forward that allow it to sit upright on the bottom and jump when they hang something upon retrieve. The top one of the three is not weedless how ever.

post-44758-0-16015200-1425764665_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-10089100-1425764682_thumb.jpg

Nice! The middle fly with the blue eyes has great color and would be a killer on baby tarpon and snook up small creeks.

& a baitfish I messed around with, with Congo fibers

(& you can see my leg hairs!)

post-55489-0-36505800-1425873920_thumb.jpg

Kudu. portly and swamp, thanks for the kind words and yes those are bead chain eyes that I got at Dollar store a couple years ago. I keep looking for more but have not seen any for a long time. Should have bought more even though I have quite a few. I could spare a few if anybody really needs some.

Corey...I love that shrimp thang. Show us what eats it. Thinking I need to try and tie one now.

Come on guys, spring is upon us. Lets see some of your work, I know you're tying out there.

I'll be tying a shrimp pattern for a swap this week. I'll post as soon as it's done. I still have to figure out what style I will tie . The shrimp I have up here (Long Island N.Y.) for the most part are tiny ( maybe half an inch ) . I've been mostly tying baitfish for the spring run.

Similar to Corey's outa craft fur, lead hour glass eyes, sparkle rubber legs, eyes. Eyes from idea from the forum, tried the search for guy, no luck. Take 25# mono melt with flame slide glass bead down then glue open end. Make bunches for later ties. The transparent glass beads give great affect....

102_1044.JPG

In actuality the best success on specks came on these fiber shrimps w/tied tails, epoxied head/back, mono eyes, speckled rubber legs, sharpie stripes. Might wanta wrap some lead wire on shank in deep sichiations....

IMG_00413.JPG

I think the grizzly streamer ones with the bead chain eyes is lots faster and easier tie....Gonna do some thanks for pics. Curios about your bead chain they look transparent....plastic, glass, metal????

Duke, yes and yes.

I agree that the seaducer style shrimp flies are much easier to tie. I have done maybe five or six of the supreme style.

The eyes are plastic and transparent. Most of the time I will use a sharpie to give them a pupil. I do have solid black and pearl but use the transparent ones most often.

That said...the seaducers do not last long at all as compared to the supreme shrimp style. But both do catch fish.

I was real surprised my craft fur ones didn't do well. I think overall action/impression of a forage is way more important than realistic appearance. The fiber shrimp got lotta action but I think on the smaller fish the fibers wouldn't bend enough so missed strikes if they grabbed it side ways. The feather versions and even the hair versions better than the hard epoxy head coupled with the fibers. Other ways to do eyes on your feather/ seaducers if you will .....I can handle the "consumable" aspect! Cre or variant grizzly good for more natural color if that would matter for tyer rather than the fish....

post-54906-0-38705000-1426980021_thumb.jpg

Hey Salty,

As promised I said i would show you my first attempt at a 1/0 shrimp. It a pettigrew variant. Pink and white. for the crabby swap. What do you think? BTW it rides hook up.

I spent a couple of months in the ML area a couple of winters ago. Jan. thru Feb. ....I caught speckled trout on several patterns but the most reliable was simple craft fur shrimp in tan. Tie in a tail and bar it with a sharpie. Do a dubbing loop and fill in with craft fur and wrap onto the shank to the eye. Oh yea, I tied in a bead chain eye about a 1/4" back from the hook eye. I started with a #6 hook but the trout was taking it deep and into the gills. I went a #2 hook and they did not take it so deep. Very simple and it worked great. caught some small blues and salt gar on it as well. I haven't tried it on bass yet but I intend to when I get the chance. ....I fished it different ways and they all seemed to work. Even the seagulls liked it. :D :D