Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Its a colour combo that works well and the shape mimics the sandeel when pulled through the water.

I hear ya Salty, I got out for the first time in a few months last week and got some nice trout, but no reds to be seen. I hear they have been catching them up my way, but they weren't cooperating the day I was out (naturally)

Piker, love the tube, I really like the idea of covering it with mylar

Yep mylar works really well and its quick and easy. The EZ body tubes are good too. A little harder to tie down tight but they have that built in lateral line. Cheap here in UK too.

agn54

I was seeing quite a few trout in one area with occasional red on a nice flat last couple weeks. Then we got about 4" rain and really screwed up the water with run off. The banana river had a big area that looked like milk ( right over my spot ) and to the west chocolate milk. Across the road was cleaner and I saw several fish but only got one trout to make a half assed bite at a mullet im. The couple reds including one about 10 lbs were not interested at all.

M A Y B E.... I need to tie up a blue clawed crab to try.

Hey Salty....Have you ever tried a craft fur shrimp? I caught a lot of trout on a tan version on either a 4 or 2 hook on the ML which is just north of you if I remember correctly. Simple tie....craft fur tail barred with a sharpie, bead chain eye and a body of craft fur in a dubbing loop. That's all doc....I started with a size 6 but they were too small and the trout was taking them to the gills. I upsized and they didn't take them quite so deep. They also cast well and the gulls like them too. Never saw a red to throw at so I can't say about the reds.

Decided I need to try something a little different to coax those smart old gator trout into eating. Bought a nice dark cape full of long feather to tie up some eel imitations. Everything in fresh and salt water eat eels. I do need to be careful not to blind cast these as blow fish and needlefish will shred the tails in short order.

First eel got rushed by a nice red only to miss the hook and then later lose it's tail to a blow fish. I hate those things. I haven't cast the big one yet but the other two look good in the water. Unfortunately 15-20 winds yesterday killed me on the flats.

With a weighted head Mike might like these for bass.

post-44758-0-69465700-1433005238_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-26068300-1433005256_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-48296700-1433005275_thumb.jpg

If I am the "Mike" you're talking about ... I fish pretty shallow water. I don't need any weight on those. Those look good.

Yes you are the Mike. Pm me your address and send one to field test on the bucket mouths.

Very cool looking flies. I tie a variation of the DC Wiggler that looks similar to that only with bead chain eyes (basically a long tailed seaducer or whistler), it slays the trout on the flats. I don't know what they think t is but they kill it. Luckily, up here we don't get too many blowfish like down south. When I was a kid we used to call them Rambo's because they destroyed your jig tails.

post-1614-0-17411000-1461423696_thumb.jpg

post-1614-0-16972800-1461423697_thumb.jpg

Just started to get back into the Ultra Shrimps. Great fly, but it takes a little bit of practice to get them to come out nice. I have found that the amount of material you use for the back determines how well it comes out. You have to force yourself to use less Ultra Hair than you think. Its a fine balancing act.

A lot of grass is coming back this year after several years of almost nothing. As a result it is now hard to fish anything that sinks so I decided it was time to tie up a few deer hair sliders. The bottom one has been flats tested which is why the tail feather look skinny. They will look fine once wet again. I prefer the sliders over poppers because they don't make as much disturbance and have really nice action and hang just at the surface.

post-44758-0-43252500-1435094585_thumb.jpg

ultra-shrimp-jig-hook.jpg

Just started to get back into the Ultra Shrimps. Great fly, but it takes a little bit of practice to get them to come out nice. I have found that the amount of material you use for the back determines how well it comes out. You have to force yourself to use less Ultra Hair than you think. Its a fine balancing act.

Brad could this pass for a clouser variation? If so you should enter the clouser swap, their are 3 spots open.

It could pass as a close, but it was a variation of the Ultra Shrimp the Bob Popovics made to his fly. It is surprising very simple to tie, as are most of his flies. The key to all of the Ultra Shrimps is the amount of Super Hair you use and forcing yourself to use less resin.

Brad