Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Chugbug,

Along the same lines as A Fly Fisherman's Guide to Saltwater Prey, which is excellent BTW, I would also suggest Featherbrain by Drew Chicone.

Been working on a big sandeel pattern for surf stripers. I've gone with Bob Popovics Jiggie modified with long thin saddles and a chenille. It has to sink head first and maintain a sandeel shape while fishing the wash (the striper was caught with the fly in the shore break)

post-18342-0-53052500-1575088666_thumb.jpg

Pretty fly. I have a hard time putting a JC nail on something a Blue might destroy.

Thanks, and I don't blame you. I just feel like something is missing if I don't put eyes on the fly.

Here's a sand eel pattern I use a lot this time of year. The heavy eyes and bent hook make it ride tail up, like a sand eel trying to burrow and escape. The braid keeps everything in place and is stiffened with UV resin brushed on.

7ylQ9JF.jpg?1

A couple jigs for my non fly fishing family members, the white one is going to my brother in law in fl the black will go to my brother who mostly fishes for large mouth bass.

post-58401-0-07792700-1577063884_thumb.jpg

post-58401-0-08210600-1577063905_thumb.jpg

Vincente, what is the collar made of?

Mlandry, what is the body made of? Cannot tell if it is synthetic.

I like both the jigs and the Betsy. I will try to post some salt flies soon.

Vincente, what is the collar made of?

Mlandry, what is the body made of? Cannot tell if it is synthetic.

I like both the jigs and the Betsy. I will try to post some salt flies soon.

Steve Farrars Flash Blend in Olive on the sides, yellow on top. Krinkle Mirror Flash and unique hair for the tail.

It's all ftd, materials I can't remember which ones/names are in them I will check the packages when I get a chance, I'm pretty sure the collar on the black ok free is black olive northern lights and the one on the white is silver h20 pearl baitfish. I cut the fibers like 3 inches long and put the fibers in a loop and palmered it on.

I got some northern flash from Nick and liked it a lot so I ordered some in a few other colors I like it much more than the northern lights so I will use that the next time I tie a black one.