Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

Nice Baitfish Fshng2. i like the simplicity of the look.

Thanks, I like the action of bucktail fibers when fished and the fact that they don't foul.

Nice Baitfish Fshng2. i like the simplicity of the look.

Thanks, I like the action of bucktail fibers when fished and the fact that they don't foul.

I like bucktail myself. I prefer it over synthetics....

Here is an attempt at a variation on the purple and black tarpon streamer by adding a rabbit strip inside some EP. Looked good in my aquarium. Not sure if the fish will think so. I'll have to wait about 3 months before giving it a go assuming it finally warms up in my neck of the woods.

You might want to tie it with a purple tail and a tiny ep collar around the rabbit to prevent it from fouling but still short enough it doesn't hinder the movement of the rabbit strip, just an idea that might give a little more movement on the fly

Probably not what you were suggesting but here is another rabbit/EP streamer attempt. I glued the rabbit strip to a short piece of 80 pound fluoro to keep it straight near the hook bend.

post-50086-0-59108000-1427549523_thumb.jpg

Nice, should really wag wit the rabbit strip. How do you attach your eyes?

Thanks. Just a gob of 5 minute epoxy on each side. Nothing fancy.

fshng2 .....I like that bucktail at the top of this page. Is that second layer lavender or blue. The top layer looks to be some natural buck tail mixed with some white.

fshng2 .....I like that bucktail at the top of this page. Is that second layer lavender or blue. The top layer looks to be some natural buck tail mixed with some white.

ditz2 top is horse mane, purple then lavendar. You have a really good eye.

I would never have guessed horse mane....I like the way it is a mixed color. Good choice of materials and the real thin top layer gives it a good look.

Probably not what you were suggesting but here is another rabbit/EP streamer attempt. I glued the rabbit strip to a short piece of 80 pound fluoro to keep it straight near the hook bend.

That is a good technique as well to prevent the rabbit strip from fouling. I need to tie up some ep style flies for freshwater purposes since I am in the middle of WV and there is no salt around for at least a 4-5 hour drive

Is that Polar Pony (Icelandic Pony) or just regular horse dyed?

Is that Polar Pony (Icelandic Pony) or just regular horse dyed?

The top color is regular horse mane natural medium brown and black mixed. The remaining hair is dyed bucktail. My future plan is to dye some horse mane to use on the backs of these type patterns. I want to try some olive and some black dye.

Spec: 6-1/2in, tied on a 3/0 Akai hook.

Simple worm hook fly.....EP wire brush for the belly, yellow/white/flash wing and the an eye. Tyed one in black a while ago the same way and liked it.

post-18342-0-92651800-1427897593_thumb.jpg