Fly Tying
hairwing

Ooops.......

The bird made the ultimate mistake. I heard the thud against the house. The rookie was still warm.

With all due respect I'll process the bird and give it another go as fly tying material.

010_zps94f5fa04.jpg

You're going to get a lot of replies telling you to beware of songbird protection laws.

But if it turns out you aren't spending the rest of your life in jail ... looks like a lot of good material there.

Do they allow vices behind bars?

Please do show us what you come up with.

Shivering and scared witless I'm packing my gear and headed for the hills.

I hate to cut and run but I can't afford the lawyering. I'll make it...thanks for the heads up.

I can only hope I have the same expression on my face as the bird when I go. You might think that the the poor fellow never knew what hit him. Hope he enjoys his-self in la-la land.

btw...bird never sung a note, I don't think it's a song bird. ;--D.

Do they allow vices behind bars?

Please do show us what you come up with.

Are you looking for an Autopsy ?smile.png

I know exactly what kind of bird that is!

The dead kind! :P

I'm sorry I just had to! :D

It make the ultimate sacrifice for fly tying! May its feathers live on...Go in peace my friend!

Some very nice traditional spider hackles there. I think that half the problem with the world today is this insane waste of everything. If you killed the bird in a tree then yes, naughty naughty but the bird killed itself. You are making use of natures bounty in the best way possible.

Unfortunately, here in the US, almost all birds, other than game birds and domestic birds, are "illegal to possess" under current regulations. It's safer to bury it. It does seem a shame, though. That's some good looking soft hackle material.

Starlings in the USA are not protected. Kill all you need. Your looking for a mature bird for the best feathers.

That bird isn't dead. It's just sleeping.

lol. i came up with the same saying about 10 yrs ago. the ones that are flat as a pancake,,,now that's dead, lol.

Starlings in the USA are not protected. Kill all you need. Your looking for a mature bird for the best feathers.

Actually, there are several older classic UK wet fly patterns that call for young starling feathers since they are a little lighter in color than mature older ones.