Fly Tying

Slow action but still beats working. Had a few missed strikes on Bass, and then started hooking up with little Sunfish and Bluegill. Caught them using various fishing flies. Did feel the temps drop when a front arrived. Luckily, the rain held until later this evening. Fun stuff! Today's Video.

Been a tough go trying to wet a line during the week lately. Was able to make it out yesterday. Did not hook up with any Bruisers but still had a fun time catching little Bass on a Four Weight Fly Rod. Caught one Bass on a Foam Rubber Grasshopper, and then the remainder went for the COAF Guadalupana that we tie.

Did see some decent Bass chasing bait fish near the banks; none wanted our fishing flies though. No worries, still caught a few... and even better, still beats working! Yesterday's Video

Been a tough go trying to wet a line during the week lately. Was able to make it out yesterday. Did not hook up with any Bruisers but still had a fun time catching little Bass on a Four Weight Fly Rod. Caught one Bass on a Foam Rubber Grasshopper, and then the remainder went for the COAF Guadalupana that we tie.

Did see some decent Bass chasing bait fish near the banks; none wanted our fishing flies though. No worries, still caught a few... and even better, still beats working! Yesterday's Video

Not a Quick Trip, not Fly Fishing but still lots of fun.... decided to head to the Texas Coast in Galveston to kick off Shark Week. Caught small sharks from a pier. Used conventional gear but did note that the Sand Trout would have likely gone for a Clouser Minnow or a Lefty Deceiver in the surf... at least when the seaweed did not clobber things.

On the road this past weekend. Fished Galveston, Texas. Last year went to the

. This year went to the 61st Street Fishing Pier. Had a great time with nice weather and lots of action on Gafftop, Sand Trout, Whiting... and small Sharks. Met some great folks - other fishermen and the Pier Staff! Even saw part of a reality TV show being filmed! Video Clip.

Already missing the coast... did make it to the local pond for a quick trip. Slow action with a little Bluegill and Sunfish caught, and then missed strikes and spooked a fish. Yesterday's Video.

PS: Learned today that any color jug line float other than orange is legal for Texas recreational fishermen starting September 1, 2014! Here is the TPWD Link.

Thanks... I did, I have the Hero. They are out of stock for replacement kits as well as new housings. May need to try eBay.

Good news found a seller on eBay and ordered a replacement lens for $8. Should arrive next week... taking advantage of the free shipping!

That said, went fishing Saturday. No fly fishing, not a quick trip. but still lotta fun. Did some kayak fishing on Lake Texoma. We caught several Smallmouth Bass, little Stripers, and a Gaspergou!, Here is a video clip.... hope to have better video once the new lens arrives!

Made it out this evening for a quick trip! Caught a Bluegill and a Bass. Missed others but just was not quick enough to hook up. No worries... sure beats working! New lens cover for the GoPro worked out well... no more scratches! Looking forward to try it out tomorrow while kayak fishing at Texoma tomorrow! Today's Video.

FYI: Lens cover worked well. Now, just need to remember to clean-off the lens after dunking it underwater. Kayak fishing went well this morning on Texoma. Went with a tandem rig - Tube Fly on top and Rat-L-trap on bottom. At times, had double hook ups! Little Stripers but still lots of fun catching them!

Late start; had some work to be done... Used the 5-Weight Fly Rod and a Craft Fur Streamer made earlier this year. Managed three Bass and a missed hook set this round. No Bruisers with the smallest one being a scrappy Fingerling Bass!

Been sidetracked with my day job as well as kayak fishing. So, no quick trips during the work week. That said, did come across an article that I re-published recently when my web host merged with another company. May be of interest to someone thinking about Tenkara Fishing. Fun and simple way to fish. Even better, that I have one rod always ready for a Quick Trip!

From that article, fshng84 ...

"Using long bamboo poles ..."

In other words ... "Tenkara" is Japanese for "cane pole".

Headed up to Oklahoma on whim to the Lower Mountain Fork River at Beaver Bend State Park for a chance for some Rainbow Trout.

Interesting place with a number of little, wild Rainbow Trout caught and released, a Stocker Rainbow Trout caught and kept, and then a Bruiser Rainbow Trout hooked but lost while attempting to land it. Also, caught and released a Brown Trout (first one ever!).

Cute little fish.

Hate to see a big one go without a picture. I tried putting a bass (about a 6 pounds) "on the reel" and lost it just after. I don't bother trying that any more. Fight 'em in by hand and get them landed. Using a 1:1 fly reel to bring a fish in just seems ... well, it's just not for me.