Fly Tying

I had a game warden once tell me that he defined "Fly Fishing" on waters that were posted for fly fishing only.

He was not sure abut a Tenkara rod.

Rick

I had a game warden once tell me that he defined "Fly Fishing" on waters that were posted for fly fishing only.

He was not sure abut a Tenkara rod.

Rick

LOL... gotta love it!

Just to clarify. I don't mind Spin fishing with a fly. I've used flies with spinning gear and (many times) with a cane pole. It's very effective when the fish are hitting small prey.

I just don't think it's "fly fishing".

Kind of like calling a bicyclist a "biker" because he's up on two wheels.

No worries... I can support the fly fishing definition. Unfortunately, went fishing with the fl rod but used a variant of the near deere.... has rubber legs. Limited out both times... but, it's a pattern that uses a mini-jig hook.

I've used a 1" Rapala on a fly rod before. The Floating Rapala was killing them, if you could get it to them. I could only get out about 20 feet with my ultra-light spinning rod. But I put that little minnow on my fly rod, and I was getting it out 30 to 40 feet ... and putting it right in the strike zone.

I consider that fly fishing, since I was using the fly rod and line to get that Rapala out that far.

Fly fishing is NOT the lure used, it's the method use to get the lure to the fish.

Again, nothing wrong with casting bubbles and flies on a spinning rod. It's just not fly fishing.

I've used a 1" Rapala on a fly rod before. The Floating Rapala was killing them, if you could get it to them. I could only get out about 20 feet with my ultra-light spinning rod. But I put that little minnow on my fly rod, and I was getting it out 30 to 40 feet ... and putting it right in the strike zone.

I consider that fly fishing, since I was using the fly rod and line to get that Rapala out that far.

Fly fishing is NOT the lure used, it's the method use to get the lure to the fish.

Again, nothing wrong with casting bubbles and flies on a spinning rod. It's just not fly fishing.

I like it... "Fly fishing is NOT the lure used, it's the method use to get the lure to the fish."

It's not that the subject isn't popular here, we talk about everything. It's just a matter of what it's called. Some of us are picky about it.

No fishing today but can host a quick livestream update. This round we talk about TRWD Flyfest - an annual event held on he banks of the Trinity River by the Acme Brick Company where Bruiser Trout are stocked for participants to catch! Also, we talk about the Near Deere Giveaway where we will randomly pick a winner. Good Luck!

Fished a new pond that was recently stocked with rainbow trout. Located in Sherman, Tx is Pebblebrook Community Park Pond. Last weekend a Trout Derby was held at Pebblebrook; we were not able to make it but we anticipated lots of trout would be on the prowl Saturday morning. They were... water was murky but the Rubber Legged Near Deere had them striking. Setting the hook in the time was another story though! No worries... was able to limit out. The Rubber Legged Near Deere and the Discount Switch Rod are fast becoming the Team's favorite combo for trout fishing ponds!

No fishing today but can host a quick livestream update. This round we talk about TRWD Flyfest - an annual event held on he banks of the Trinity River by the Acme Brick Company where Bruiser Trout are stocked for participants to catch! Also, we talk about the Near Deere Giveaway where we will randomly pick a winner. Good Luck!

Near Deere Winner announced!

Finding Spawning White Bass in Texas... #sandbass #whitebass
Back in the day, we would drive by the boat ramp on the Nueces River, and when we saw lots of cars, trucks, and boat trailers, we would put in the jon boat.

Now a days, we prefer to wait till warmer weather and when the spawn is over and the White Bass are schooling on the lake.

But, if we were to fish the spawn aka White Bass/Sandy Run, we would hire a local guide, or do some online scouting!

Do check out the video for more details on finding white bass during the spawning run.

https://youtu.be/ESzUdoHjAqo

On 2/23/2020 at 5:49 PM, mikechell said:

But, is it fishing with flies.?

Which part?  Fly fishing isn't about the lure.  If it was, then streamers, sculpins, crayfish, etc. etc wouldn't be fly fishing.

Fishing is the method of delivering the lure, not the lure itself.

Fishing the Bass on Bed Fly #bassfishing #flyfishing
Able to fish the local pond with the Bass on Bed Fly. First round struck out, had bass on either broke the line; was using 4lbs test. Or, missed the hook set, else Bass threw the hook.

Next round, modified the Bass On Bed Fly by adding more marabou plumes tied on the pool bend. Caught two Bass, success! Not sure what to call the pattern... for now it's the Bass On Bed Fly aka BOB Fly with a plume! Do give it a try!

https://youtu.be/7vonRVoyZ0w