Fly Tying

Tenkara Fishing a Creek #tenkarausa #iwana #flyfishing  Too nice a day to spend Easter Sunday indoors. Rained last night and Sunday morning but by afternoon the sun was out. It was windy but not bad along the creek... tight spaces and clobbered with debris did manage to catch a few Bluegill and a Bass on a Foam Grasshopper.

Key items to note... 12' tenkara rod could still be fished in the creek's tight spaces, the bow and arrow cast worked well accurate casts were easily attained, and floating debris tended to be the deal breaker for fishing a large area of nesting Bluegill... will have to comeback when things clear up.

Overall, the versatility and portability of the tenkara rod reminds us why we tried this fishing method years ago! Stay tuned for a follow-on iFishNews fishing podcast to step through the video and lessons learned this trip!

Good luck and good fishing!

That's precisely the kind of area where I DON'T get the tenkara method.  With any overhead branches, etc., you're very likely to get your rod tip in them.  You can't reel in line, so you have to raise the rod high enough, or pull it straight back until you can reach the line and bring the fish in by hand.  And then there's that part of hand lining the fish in.

Thank you for this video.  Reminds me of why I don't want to try tenkara.  I'll stick to roll-casting with my 5'6" 3 weight to fish those areas.

I'll probably still end up getting one at some point ... just because it's a different way, and I like to try different.  But I'll wait until I have nothing better to do.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:40 AM, mikechell said:

That's precisely the kind of area where I DON'T get the tenkara method.  With any overhead branches, etc., you're very likely to get your rod tip in them.  You can't reel in line, so you have to raise the rod high enough, or pull it straight back until you can reach the line and bring the fish in by hand.  And then there's that part of hand lining the fish in.

Thank you for this video.  Reminds me of why I don't want to try tenkara.  I'll stick to roll-casting with my 5'6" 3 weight to fish those areas.

I'll probably still end up getting one at some point ... just because it's a different way, and I like to try different.  But I'll wait until I have nothing better to do.

It's still fun... plan to try with a shorter line... 6' so I can drop the fly in between opening in the floating debris.  There were some nice bluegill lurking below in nests.

iFishNews Fishing Podcast #3 - Tenkara Fishing in Close Quarters?

A follow-on video and podcast of our recent trip Tenkara Fishing a creek. In this fishing podcast, we talk about lessons learned tenkara fishing in close quarters where brush and overhead branches limit the use of fly fishing gear and have clobbered our back cast.

Easily remedied with a fly rod and switch and roll casts, we wanted to try fishing with a tenkara rod... a 12' tenkara rod lined with 12' of fly line and 3' of leader and tippet.

We learned that the tenkara rod worked well fishing the creek especially the use of the "bow and arrow" cast.  We also learned that shortening the fly line to 6' would help in working the fly under the overhang branches in the creek.

Do check out the podcast - be it the video or listen in at iFishNews.com to the podcast version of it!

Video snippet of today's catch. Fun time fly fishing for white Bass. OPST Commando Head and coated mono running line made for easier flycasting! Do check back on YouTube Channel at COAF Field Team. Will get video posted soon as able.

Tnail_Lavon_Kayak_20200426_fbk.jpg

On 4/27/2020 at 3:57 PM, mikechell said:

Nice catch ... looking forward to seeing more of them.

Thanks! Posting the video shortly.

Kayak Fly Fishing on Lake Lavon for White Bass! #flyfishing #kayakfishing. Had a fun time fishing Lake Lavon for White Bass on a fly rod Sunday morning.  Water was glass smooth, making for an easier paddle to the fishing spot - water treatment plant's drainage system.

Was hoping for a Largemouth Bass or two using the EmmRod and a Slab and Jig Rig. Had one strike but quickly fouled my line and broke off.

Switched to the fly rod and fished a Blue and White Clouser, and then a Chartreuse and White Clouser. No takers on either.  Moved downstream from the drainage and switched the a pattern that I forgot its name and had a fun time catching White Bass on the fly!

Later, I recalled the name of the fishing fly...it's a Denison Dam Dawber! 

OPST Commando Head and the coated mono running line made the difference in casting from a sitting position in the kayak!  Do keep one at the ready if you decide to kayak fly fish!

Sweet day on the water !!!  Those fish put a pretty good bend in that fly rod!

Early 2000s, I fished <I think> Fayette County Reservoir with a friend from Houston.  We used fly rods and caught some really nice crappie and bass.  It looked a lot like your lake.  We spent most of our time casting to the tree trunks in the water.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, mikechell said:

Sweet day on the water !!!  Those fish put a pretty good bend in that fly rod!

Early 2000s, I fished <I think> Fayette County Reservoir with a friend from Houston.  We used fly rods and caught some really nice crappie and bass.  It looked a lot like your lake.  We spent most of our time casting to the tree trunks in the water.

Cool... hope to get out there again soon!

Kayak Fly Fishing OPST Commando Head or Weight Forward Fly Line? #flyfishing.... Wind was minimal on Mother's Day, finally able to try out the OPST Commando Head sitting in a kayak placed in a grassy area. Wanted to play around with the one-handed spey fly line and compare it with the weight forward fly line... fun time, do like the OPST Commando Head because it makes a for ease of casting when the back cast is limited. Main item is to use a coated running line instead of mono running line, tangle less and unravels while still able to shoot line when needed. All for now, and Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Tenkara Fishing a Pond with Foam Grasshoppers! #tenkarafishing #flyfishing.... Finally got a much needed haircut after two months! Feel much better now, what to do to celebrate... GO FISHING. Since the Tenkara Iwana Rod from Tenkara USA is at the ready in the little pickup truck, hit the closest pond from the barber... Kroger Park.

Water was clear and the Bass and Bluegill were there. Caught a few, missed a few, had a great time! Fished a "beat up Foam Grasshopper" where the tail was missing, the Beavertail Variant, and then another variant that uses a different foam cutter... cannot recall the name - stonefly, damsel fly... regardless, fish were biting!

The fishing look like fun ... I'd rather have a rod/reel.   I do appreciate your videos with the tenkara. 

Each one convinces me more that I don't need one.