Fly Tying

On 7/31/2020 at 2:07 PM, mikechell said:

Kind of neat, seeing that bass with a lure.  I hope the person who lost it sees your video and goes back there to try and catch the fish ... getting his/her lure back!

Was fun to see what was down below and the Bass with the lure was cool... maybe someone will catch the bass and recover the lure.

GoFish Cam Fish Scouting - Balloons, Bass, and Doughbait?

More GoFish Cam Fish Scouting at the local pond. Was sidetracked from scouting for fish with the GoFish Cam when five hot air balloons were passing by.  One seemed to be low but quickly climbed higher.

Still learning the GoFish Cam but am liking the ability to scout likely areas holing fish. This round added a plastic tube to keep the baited hook from landing close to the lens and blocking our view of the area... seems to work.

Mainly Bluegill and Sunfish again, but did get a glimpse of a Bass passing by! Skip to 2:24 to see it.

Do check back for more GoFish Cam Fish Scouting!

GoFish Cam Review - Likes, Would Likes, Really Likes!

This week;s updates... we review the GoFish Cam! We purchased the GoFish Cam to replace our lost Water Wolf Camera. After tinkering with it and taking out on several fish scouting trips; here is our an initial impression of the GoFish Cam - specifically, what we like, would like and really like! Do check it out when you get a chance! Plan to use it for more Fishing Scouting Trips!

https://youtu.be/Yc0b3GmrBuc

This was fun...

Lake Lavon Fishing - Kayaking and Juglining Gets Kayak PB!

Fun time juglining and kayak fishing Lake Lavon Saturday. Even caught a personal best Blue Catfish from a kayak... went 30 plus inches!

Did catch a bigger one several years ago on Lake Lavon but that was in a jon boat and with a fishing buddy. This one was caught and landed by yours truly!

Lots of fun... had to make a run to shore to land it.  Lots of winds and waves and no net; did not want to risk losing it trying to land it in the kayak.

Longer than normal video... includes details on the kayak jug lines used and setting up the first group of three jug lines.

In keeping with the COAF Field Team's motto... "Learn to fish by our trials and errors"

Last week made a quick pond fly fishing trip to Bethany Lakes. Used the MaxCatch 2wt fly rod but this time went with a 2wt WF fly line instead of the Rio Trout Max skagit head.

Fun time after finding the Bluegill that were lurking mid-pond. But, had to call it short when I lost the Foam Spider they were liking... did get a little Bass to hit a Near Deere though!

Do check it out when you get a chance!

Pond Fishing | Spin Casting and Rooster Tails!

Last week, did some pond fishing with spin casting rod/reels that were given to us. Enjoyed re-visiting younger days fishing a push button reel on ultralight rods using a rooster tail to catch a fish or two!

After a short session in muscle memory casting with the short spincasting rods, and a quick field repair to an overlined reel, had fun catching and releasing a few fingerling bass... did catch a sunfish also as well as lost a nice fish that broke the line.

Will plan to do more of these pond fishing videos... especially liking the Zebco Authentic Micro Reel and the 30+ year old Berkley Lightning Rod!

Do check it out when you get a chance!

I used those kinds of reels when I was 6, and just learning to fish.  I've no desire to "revisit" them.  The drive ratio, the terrible line winding system, twisted mono ... If I had kids, I would never start them on push button reels.  Spinning reel is simple enough for any kid old enough to fish.

56 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I used those kinds of reels when I was 6, and just learning to fish.  I've no desire to "revisit" them.  The drive ratio, the terrible line winding system, twisted mono ... If I had kids, I would never start them on push button reels.  Spinning reel is simple enough for any kid old enough to fish.

Thought the same... plus started my kids with quality spinning rods and reels. But, the Zebco Authentic 11 is a qaulity spin casting ultralight... gonna play with this one some more on the 30+ y/o Berkley Lighting Rod. I think it can handle a decent fish or two!

Denison Dam Fishing | Caught a Gar, Lost a Big Fish, Almost Lost GoFish Cam

Last Saturday headed up the road for some Denison Dam Fishing. Got there at first light. Learned they have bright LED street lights that make the area bright along the Texas side of the river!

They were not generating; water level was low, and the bite was slow. Did deploy the GoFish Cam and almost lost it to a snag. Lots of braided line. Dove in the river and retrieved it after cutting away the snag... lots of braided line in the water!

Around 10:30AM, they started generating power. Stuck around to fish the river in hopes the current would bring more fish to feed.

Luckily, did not strike out... caught a gar that went for shad! Later, had a few more good strikes but missed the hook set. Did get one to stay on but lost it after nearing the bank... it was a big one!

Do check out the video!

Preparing for Trout Stocking Season. Dusted of the "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing". Latest iFishNews Fishing Podcast reviews tips 1 - 4!  Cooler weather is just around the corner!

GoFish Cam | Modified Rig Take 1

Made adjustments with the GoFish Cam and rigging it for underwater video action shots when scouting local ponds for fish.

Liking it but do need to make more adjustments to keep it level and floating upright.

With a little more tweaking, should be able to get it where we like it.

Do check out the video - left the underwater footage as is other than clipping out the reeling in and out of the camera.

Fun stuff!

Pond Fishing - Zebco Authentic 11 Spincasting and Roostertails

Saturday morning pond fishing with the Zebco spincasting micro reel again. Roostertails were working on the little bass but missed hooksets left only two Bass caught and one Sunfish.

Lost the 1/16oz Firetail Roostertail.  Only had a 1/8oz White Roostertail. Could feel them nipping at the lure.

Overall having lots of fun reliving the past with the spincasting combo. Did have to respool the reel... there was not much on the reel.  Good thing no Bruisers, else could have spooled me.

PS: Reel was re-spooled and made it out Sunday morning... more Bass and Bluegill but from a different pond.

Do check back for more fishing fun!

More Pond Fishing | Spincasting Roostertails

Another pond fishing round with Spincasting gear... Zebco Authentic 11 and Roostertails keep working.  This time at the pond behind In-N-Out Burger.  Bass were bigger than the fingerling Bass caught the day prior at a different pond. No Bruisers but still lots of fun catching them on ultralight gear.

Fish preferred the Firetail Roostertail in 1/16oz.  Did try a White Roostertail but only a few short strikes.  Did see a number of fish trail the inline spinners... at times, had to use the stop and go retrieve to get them to take!

Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast #22

Second in our "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" series podcast where I review fly fishing tips in preparation for the upcoming Trout Stocking Season.  This week I touch on fly fishing tips 5 through 8!

Tip 5: Don't Get Cocky
Tip 6: Stop! In the name of love (and a good cast)
Tip 7: Hitting the Wall
Tip 8: Throw a drink in my face

Do check it out!